Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Licence Renewal at 70  (Read 651 times)

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
Licence Renewal at 70
« on: 31 August, 2020, 03:24:59 PM »
Just in the process of renewing my Licence ahead of my 70th and had a wobbly when I noticed that you can't renew on line without losing the Category for minibuses and vans/trucks over 3.5t

Not the end of the World, although I'm betting that the mini bus bit will come back to haunt me - life's like that.

Anyway, there was no mention of Bikes (Category A) but being paranoid, I recalled years gone by when the DVLA started lopping of peoples entitlement when they changed to plastic cards from the old paper versions. In fact I deliberately let my paper one run out before getting a plastic one, as they were making such a cock up of it at the time.

Anyone heard any horror stories regarding renewal at 70 going the same way? 

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Licence Renewal at 70
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »
Isn't that because HGV and minbuses need a medical at 70+ ?

From days yore,  take photos of your current licence / prints of your on-line details - just 'in case' something gets left off (they used to be really good at that!).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Online moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2020, 05:00:43 PM »
I gave up my HGV and PSV licences when l finally stopped driving them at 72. When l tried to renew on line this year (now 75) l was unable to do so because l needed a medical so that l could drive 7.5 tonnes or up to 16 seat minibus. I only want my car and bike licence now so l just sent the form back without the medical form and a letter saying what l wanted. Didn’t see the point in paying £100 for a medical that l don’t need. Eventually, due to Covid lockdown, l got my licence back with all my vocational qualifications removed and covering me for the next 3 years when l should be able to renew it on line. I always take a copy of everything l send to DVLA.

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
You can still have those C1 & D1 categories on your Licence at 70 but only if you apply using the the paper form from the Post Office, which I suspect has some extra hoops to jump through included in it.

Never driven anything 3.5t or over in my life, or needed to. Last time I drove a minibus was about four years ago.

I suppose vans don't count as there aren't (or shouldn't be) up to 16 passengers on board!  :008:

When I swapped out my paper licence I took multiple copies of everything!  :008:

You don't have to send them anything if you apply on line, which was the main attraction.

Good to know there was no problem with the motorcycle part of the Licence!
« Last Edit: 31 August, 2020, 05:09:23 PM by Brit182 »

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2020, 06:46:28 PM »
When my licence came for renewal at photo time (every 15 years I think) I had heard horror stories of the bike entitlement being removed and people having to retake their test.. there we all sorts of ideas how to prevent it but I chose the perfect one I said I'd lost my licence and paid £20 for a new one which came back perfect.

The old one I used when hiring a car in Spain... they happily photocopied it without knowing it was out of date - its since lost itself all over again this time for real so I only have one
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Online moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2020, 06:55:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brit182 [+]
You can still have those C1 & D1 categories on your Licence at 70 but only if you apply using the the paper form from the Post Office, which I suspect has some extra hoops to jump through included in it.

Never driven anything 3.5t or over in my life, or needed to. Last time I drove a minibus was about four years ago.

I suppose vans don't count as there aren't (or shouldn't be) up to 16 passengers on board!  :008:

I decided not to renew C1 and D1 so that l couldn’t drive them when l got the phone calls to “just help out” I had made up my mind to retire. I must admit it was hard giving up qualifications that l worked hard to get and had made a living from for over 50 years.
When I swapped out my paper licence I took multiple copies of everything!  :008:

You don't have to send them anything if you apply on line, which was the main attraction.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2020, 08:46:54 PM »

I drove a Ford tank transporter with a Centurion tank on the back through Wareham to the ranges at Lulworth. Now I'm not trusted with a vehicle of more than 3.5 tonnes, indeed I now can't hire even a small van!

I've had to renew my licence a few times now and the next time is January 2023 when I'm 85. (I always have to have an eye test so hope it is OK again next time.)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2020, 03:53:30 PM »
Good to hear you are still making the wheels go round Rev!  :152:

For various reasons I've had a couple of slow years (riding wise) and my other half is inclined to say "Why don't you just pack it in?"

To which my reply is "When I find out that RevKen has packed it in, then I'll think about it"

Keep on, keeping on old mate!  :047:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2020, 06:40:07 PM »
Bench mark set

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2020, 08:43:31 PM »
Good to hear you are still making the wheels go round Rev!  :152:

For various reasons I've had a couple of slow years (riding wise) and my other half is inclined to say "Why don't you just pack it in?"

To which my reply is "When I find out that RevKen has packed it in, then I'll think about it"

Keep on, keeping on old mate!  :047:
My wife is still happy for me to ride (I become unbearable when the weather is good and I can't get a ride because of too many other commitments) so long as I don't get too ambitious on the type of roads I ride and whether I am riding too far.
I'm happy with that - for now - as I recover from COVID 19, but when I feel fitter......... :015:

I think we all know when it is time to hang up our helmets and if you still enjoy riding and don't scare yourself, keep at it! :028:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

diverse-leafy