Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H7  (Read 802 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H7
« Reply #10 on: 02 September, 2020, 10:22:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
I make you right Ken and I've mentioned the same in other threads, much to the dissatisfaction of some readers. I think we're rapidly moving towards a point where the light source must paired with a specific type of reflector and lens. As more and more halogen bulbs are replaced with HID and LED bulbs the issues created become more noticeable to those responsible for writing the MOT standards.

No worries, when the MOT testers start issuing headlamp fails on halogen bulbs being replaced with LED or HID units we can always go back to the 100W H7 rally bulbs.

In early days HID 'bulbs' did not have their source at the same point in the reflector as 'standard' halogen bulbs. However the better quality HID 'bulbs' to-day (some with shields) are much better, and mine definitely do meet the MOT standard for beam patterns, hence my disagreement with DVSA. (I used to run the MOT branch many years ago when it was the Vehicle Inspectorate) Incidentally I don't think LED conversions are a fail item the last time I checked. 
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #11 on: 03 September, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
Its annoying. My dip beam HID was a cheap as chips (£9.95) fleabay offer and also meets the MOT beam pattern requirements. Its covered coming up to 40,000 miles in the past 5 years and is still lighting the way. For the unlit country lanes I find myself riding on a regular basis after dark I've added a pair of cheap as chips (£14.95) 125W CREE U5 LED DRL's, they're not 125W that's just what they're offered as on fleabay.

My set up is a balance between seeing and being seen, it doesn't dazzle oncoming at least I don't get oncoming headlamp flashes and the lanes are perfectly lit.

Happy Days for now.

Online knapdog

• CBF Master
  • '17 mk2, '18 Enfield Classic 500, '95 Honda C90,
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
« Reply #12 on: 09 September, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
Today I have fitted the new generation Osram Nightbreaker Laser H7 bulbs.
I had no trouble removing the dust cover from above, unplugging the wiring, retaining clip and bulb.
The new bulbs went in equally easily.
In the garage, on dipped beam, you can see that the new bulbs are whiter compared to the yellowish original.
So, I'll have to wait and see how they perform.
Stay between the hedges!

diverse-leafy