Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H7  (Read 801 times)

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • '17 mk2, '18 Enfield Classic 500, '95 Honda C90,
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H7
« on: 31 August, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »
I usually replace the standard lights on any bike with the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H7.
I'm happy with the improved brightness, even though they may not last quite as long.
I was about to purchase a pair for the biffer when I noticed that a lot of outlets are saying that they've been discontinued or out of stock.
They now have the Osram Nightbreaker Laser and the Nightbreaker Silver.
Does anyone know anything about these?
Should I snap up the old  "Unlimited " H7's if I can get hold of a couple or plump for the latest generation Osrams?
Stay between the hedges!

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H7
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2020, 04:47:49 PM »
Only if they are better than the new ones - or Phillips extremes (or whatever they are called next time a buy some +130s).

Generally, the newer named bulbs are at least as good as the older/original improvements.  But remember a lot of the extra brightness is at the cost of service life, so if a new one is rated at 2x the life of 'nightbreaker unlimited' it may not be so bright.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »
Osram do a specific bulb for motorcycles
its called Osram night racer 110.
It is supposed to withstand vibration  better.
I have been using them in 4 bikes without problem
except when a voltage regulator let the bike charge at 16volt

Malc

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2020, 07:54:06 AM »
What I have noticed, in the small print, is that all these H7 Osram and Phillips bulbs have a lifespan of only between 150 and 250 hours!
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »
A lifespan of 150 to 250 hours means the tyres will outlast the dipped beam!

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »
I converted my lighting to HID when it was OK at MOTs. Sadly they are now a fail item, so it is necessary to swap them for candles and then swap them back - but checking that the HID lights meet the MOT beam pattern to avoid dazzling other road users. I'm keeping mine as I need to see in the dark and they are much brighter than any high performance bulbs, plus it has lasted years! (And the police have never stopped me as they are so common and are a safety feature.)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the dipped bulb the same as the main beam bulb?
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2020, 01:19:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
I converted my lighting to HID when it was OK at MOTs. Sadly they are now a fail item, so it is necessary to swap them for candles and then swap them back - but checking that the HID lights meet the MOT beam pattern to avoid dazzling other road users. I'm keeping mine as I need to see in the dark and they are much brighter than any high performance bulbs, plus it has lasted years! (And the police have never stopped me as they are so common and are a safety feature.)

ditto Ken but just the dipped beam and my MOT tester passed it on the last test (Nov 19)

@knapdog The bulbs are both H7's and the same. Its the lens that diffuses the light into different patterns and projections that is different.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
ditto Ken but just the dipped beam and my MOT tester passed it on the last test (Nov 19)

@knapdog The bulbs are both H7's and the same. Its the lens that diffuses the light into different patterns and projections that is different.
I think DVSA will be tightening up on this, :211: so your tester will be more wary of 'using his commonsense' :192: even if your HID set-up meets the MOT beam pattern. :157: 
« Last Edit: 01 September, 2020, 08:04:47 PM by Rev Ken »
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #9 on: 02 September, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
I make you right Ken and I've mentioned the same in other threads, much to the dissatisfaction of some readers. I think we're rapidly moving towards a point where the light source must paired with a specific type of reflector and lens. As more and more halogen bulbs are replaced with HID and LED bulbs the issues created become more noticeable to those responsible for writing the MOT standards.

No worries, when the MOT testers start issuing headlamp fails on halogen bulbs being replaced with LED or HID units we can always go back to the 100W H7 rally bulbs.

diverse-leafy