Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve adjustment .... in GTA, Aurora .... who to use for the job??? Canadian eh!  (Read 776 times)

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
Hello fellow Canadian owners .............

Just turned 24,000kms, owners' manual says time for a valve check/adjustment. Any recommendations on where to have this service done? I'm in Aurora/Newmarket.

Anyone know a reliable place?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
Having read a few threads on the valve adjustment topic, it sounds as though the engine performs well in that department. I'll continue my search but won't stress too much about getting the valves checked immediately.

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy the ride!

Loving this bike.

Ride safely.
 :300: :300:

Offline Steelworker

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 1000ABS
  • City / Town: London
At 24,000 kms it's unlikely your valves would need any adjustment. I checked mine recently at 32,000 miles ( 51,500 kms ) and they were all OK both inlet and exhaust.
If you fancy doing a check yourself, there's two very good articles by Firebladerdk in the Technical Section on the forum. It does require time and patience but the job is not that difficult though you will need garage space and tools.
I don't know about Canada, but this job in a dealers workshop in the UK can be quite expensive.
Enjoy your bike before the winter weather hits!

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
Thanks for the insight!
Appreciate the info.

Yes, need to ride before the snow flies!!
Cheers.
 :031:

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Toronto
Hello from Toronto.

Re the valve check, I currently have 62,000 Ks on my 2009 model.  Two years ago  I  went through the same dilemma as you when I was at 24,000Ks.  I eventually  spoke with a Honda factory mechanic who advised me to double the kilometers before looking at the valves.  Of course, his advice was off the record. So instead of at 48,000 Ks, I had them checked at 44,000 as I was getting a bit nervous, though no reason as the bike was performing well.  It cost me approx $600 and only three valves where out of whack.   Hope this helps.

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
Thanks Fernie, appreciate the insight. Where / who did the valve check and adjustment for you?

You put on plenty of kms in the last couple years! Nice. Are you using the bike as your daily driver/commuting vehicle? How quickly are you using up tires?

Thanks again.

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Toronto
Hello Mike:

I've been using an independent local shop here in the High Park area of Toronto, called Cyclewerx,  (416) 913-4965 or website  cyclewerx.ca  . Might be a bit far from Aurora, ?? They're a small shop, but very honest and knowledgeable.

About my  tires,.... I bought the bike used with 22,000 kms on the clock.  It came with decent used Michelins , which I eventually replaced  at 44,000 kms. with Michelin  Pilot Rd 4, and now at65,000 they still have plenty of life.  I feel very confident with them, on dry and wet.  I'm sure there is now a more current model/generation.

I'm a retired 73 year old, and though I've had other bikes (road and adventure), I truly love my Biffer.    With Toronto traffic being absolutely nuts, I mainly use the bike for getaways out of the city, in Ontario and Quebec, .... plenty of open roads. 

Oddly, at this stage  in my life, I'm starting to wonder if I should pack it in and sell my bike, ... not push fate so to speak,.... considering my age !! Would be nice to hear from other oldtimers.

Take care, this might be our last warm weekend , so get out and enjoy the fall colours.  They're spectacular this year.

Don.