Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing radiator and fan  (Read 310 times)

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: London
Removing radiator and fan
« on: 22 August, 2020, 06:21:45 PM »
I need a new fan installed and if it’s a job I can do myself, I’d like to, rather than pay to have it done.

I need to drain the coolant, take off the radiator and fan, install a new fan and then put the radiator back on and refill with new coolant.

How hard a job is that? What obstacles and I likely to run into?

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Removing radiator and fan
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »
Easy, its mostly nuts, bolts and common sense, use both hands when sliding the radiator off the lower lugs it will still have some coolant in and is heavier than it looks.

Excellent coolant replacement How to right here

The first time I replace coolant in any system I fill and flush the system two or three times with de-ionised water to get most of the old stale coolant out. For the final refill my coolant of choice is a 50:50 mix of TRIPLE QX red anti-freeze & summer concentrated coolant (Euro car parts 2L required). That way future coolant changes can be made using the same TRIPLE QX red coolant with less need for flushing.

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
Thank you!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2020, 01:04:00 PM »
Don't forget to tie a piece of cord to the fan motor 2 pin black connectors to make re-routing the fan cables easier, its all very tight with little spare cable and barely any room to work. Or, if you've already removed the radiator route a piece of cord through to the loom connector and tie this to the fan motor connector before refitting the radiator then you can pull the fan motor connector and cables through as you tilt the radiator back on the lower pivots.