Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: replacement radiator fan  (Read 1077 times)

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: London
replacement radiator fan
« on: 15 August, 2020, 01:55:23 PM »
Honda wants £435 - typical.

Does anybody know where I can get a decent second hand radiator fan from for the MK1 CBF 1000?

Iíve checked eBay and Iíve searched google results. Nothing in the country thus far.

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
Re: replacement radiator fan
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »
Have you tested the fan by applying 12v direct from the battery to the fan's 2 pin black connector? Just to prove the fan is faulty, if the fan still doesn't kick in check the wiring between the connector and the fan motor.

Yes the Honda fan like all Honda spares are properly overpriced. If you've proved the fan faulty this 9" 12v Universal Fan should fit, note these are normally installed onto the radiator by means of the supplied cable ties but you can rig it as you see fit, before fitting check the fan is pulling air, if its pushing reverse the connection.

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2020, 02:54:01 PM »
The fan is definitely faulty. I took a look at the link you gave me and wonder if the link in my previous post was a better option, though more expensive and from the US?

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
I see that as £108 (including import duties) vs £15.55. That's a no brainer for me, I'd go with the £15.55 fan. I'm assuming the USA supplier declares it correctly, if it is opened by Customs and they value it as a Honda (or Ducati) part the import duty will likely be £90.

edit: I only ask if you've proven the fan to be faulty because folk on here and elsewhere have spent untold hard earned on replacing perfectly serviceable parts due to incorrect diagnosis.

« Last Edit: 15 August, 2020, 04:13:32 PM by Art »

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »
The price difference is rather large. It comes out to £81.32 for the Honda fan. Are import duty charges based on what I paid for an item? If so, under £135 I shouldnít have to pay? At least thatís what Iíve read on the government website; perhaps I misinterpreted!

The £15 fan is actually out of stock, and Iíd be worried about longevity. Cheap is usually cheap for a reason.

I appreciate your help and advice. Iíd try to get to the fan now To have a look myself,  if it wasnít pissing down with rain. Iíve just got back from the garage with the bike. My guy didnít even charge me to check the fan was working
so silver linings and all.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »
I'm not up on import duties, I thought from USA you had to pay 20% on everything except gifts below a certain value which may be the £135 you mention. I do know Customs can open parcels and check and re value the contents. Assuming the Ducati part is made in Italy its odd to order it from the USA.

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2020, 05:59:31 PM »
I thought it was odd to have a part made for the Italian market ship from the USA. I know Ducati provide parts for Honda but the fan motors are Panasonic. Iím not sure if the Ducati background has any relation to the part itself.

I think Iíll bite the bullet and get the more expensive fan and if it turns out to be a mistake then I have only myself to blame! Hereís hoping for a bit of luck.

On a side note, the Bike loses power for half a second when changing up to second gear. Itís only since yesterday after I jump started from a car. I can twist the throttle for that half a second with no revs as a result and instead there is engine braking. The power then comes back and away I go. Any ideas as to what it could be?

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2020, 06:13:14 PM »
That could be many things from a sticking throttle cable, ignition, fuel etc. The jump start may be a red herring but why are you jump starting? If its a battery issue then the low voltage could cause the ignition and fuel systems to play up. 

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2020, 06:33:24 PM »
I jump started at I drained the battery whilst tinkering and such. Iíll have to see how it goes.

Thanks for your help

diverse-leafy