Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Things you find in your fairing  (Read 622 times)

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
Things you find in your fairing
« on: 05 August, 2020, 01:01:55 PM »
So, I've got a CBF1000GT A8 and I've had it for about a decade or so. Last week I decided it was service time. So as part of that, I took off the nearside lower fairing to gain access to the air filter. Something dropped on the floor of the garage, which I discovered was an indicator bulb. Damn I thought. How on earth did that come loose? I switched on the bike and tried the indicators. All working correctly! Now I can't recall when I last had that panel off. I haven't used it greatly in recent years (summer ride-outs and popping to visit someone or pick up a loaf of bread, that type of thing. No commuting.) Probably 4 years ago. But what is more interesting is that I've never had cause to change an indicator bulb.

I can only assume that the previous owner (or a "techician" in one of Mr Honda's emporiums) had cause to change the bulb and dropped it. They have then simply used another bulb rather than try to recover the dropped one. It has then languished somewhere behind the fairing until I dislodged it. I can only assume that it's been stuck perhaps between a hose and something. Still remaining there last time I had that panel off.

Just thought I'd share that mildly boring tale with you. And incidentally, is it just me, or does everyone go slightly mad trying to put the lower fairing panels back on, getting the bolts to catch on those thread-encased-in-rubber thingies?
« Last Edit: 05 August, 2020, 01:03:01 PM by pedro »

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Re: Things you find in your fairing
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
Hi Pedro
Lower fairing replacement can be a right faff  :087:
What works for me is engage the bolt to the upper fairing, loosely, then the one to the bracket from the engine case, then insert the fairing clips (studs) at the bottom.  Waggle it all about a bit and tighten up.
Probably all wrong but it's my way.
As a matter of interest, why do you remove the lower fairing to check the air filter ? 

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2020, 12:45:33 AM »
It's just a bit awkward getting to one of the screws on the air filter housing with the lower fairing on I find. However, next time I shall use one of those bendy screwdriver things and keep the bodywork in place for sure.

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
Hi Pedro,
I should have checked.  Maybe you have "Ermax" lowers, or similar.  I'm pretty sure they cover more than the Honda-issue type I have on mine.
Good luck for next time
Cheers.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2020, 12:04:44 AM »
Just the usual GT ones I guess. Put them back fine, it was just an annoying job really, but no real issues, thanks.