Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello  (Read 164 times)

Offline Bikespod

• City / Town: London
Hello
« on: 01 August, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »
Hi
Iím thinking of getting a CBF1000FA
Iíve read reports of the earlier models having issues with badly aligned head stocks which is putting me off.
Iíll admit I prefer the FA look in any case, but wanted to ask if these models suffer from this or any other issues.
I know stators can pack up and generally these bikes are accused of being dull, but Iíve reached the age where comfort, reliability, reasonable performance and handling are more important to me.
Iíve been riding for 28 years, owned all sorts including race reps, but have been on an XT660X for the last 13 years. So Iíd expect a CB to be pretty civilised and a lot smoother and more powerful.
Any pointers appreciated
Thanks
Nick

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2020, 04:50:15 PM »
Oh, and welcome.

I've not come across any head stock issues - search on this forum for posts.
Not to say some won't have worn bearings (if that's what you mean) but not 'common'.

Neither are mkIIs eating stators; there is one on my list but that may have actually been a mkI anyway (some mkIs were registered after the MkIIs were out for quite a while).  Again, reading here show this to be less of an 'issue' than perceived).

Yes, both varients are very civilised machines.  Not oudles of power, but enough. 
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2020, 05:38:21 PM »
 :405:

The SC64 CBF1000 is a good choice in the Sports Tourer class.

The fork alignment issue you mention seems to only have affected the very first of the SC58 production run and appears to have been an assembly line issue. It got hyped out of all proportion as these things do because "fork/frame alignment" is something that's normally skimmed over on a Pre Delivery Inspection and is not covered in the service schedule. Therefore misaligned forks only got tended to if the owner reported the issue back to the dealership. No prizes for guessing there then followed many unfounded complaints of misaligned forks, not a thing to worry about.

Offline Bikespod

« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2020, 06:25:15 PM »
Hi and thanks for the replies.
Itís easy to focus too much on problems when you do a search on a model you are not familiar with. Which is why Iíve asked the people that know, those who own and ride the bike.
All good to know and very reassuring.
I regularly pass a mk2 at work and it always turns my head, which is enough for me to realise I will be happy going out in the morning to ride it, as long as itís not plagued with mechanical issues.
Iíll admit I was initially a bit sceptical after finding the CBF600 a little uninspiring looks wise, but when I saw the mk2 1000 I fell for its looks. Itís been a long time since I owned an in-line 4 ( Honda hornet 600 ) and I really fancy it again after so long on a single cylinder

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
 :405:
 :730: :730:

Offline Bikespod

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2020, 06:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Iím definitely leaning towards a biffer as my next bike.
Iím torn between a Crossrunner and a CBF.

Iíve owned 2 VFRís before, a 400 and 750, so maybe itís time for an in line 4 again.
Probably cheaper to service, although I do everything but shims myself.

The XT has been pretty much faultless for 13 years, maybe luck, maybe just a simple reliable bike. I do change the oil and filter regularly  Also swapped the shock and linkage for a good low mileage second hand one, fork oil change, the odd electrical gremlin, but thatís about it other than bolt on stuff.

Hoping a CBF will be similarly simple to work on and reliable.
It would be my first ABS bike too.

diverse-leafy