Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine removal.  (Read 542 times)

Offline Numpty668

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Darlington
Engine removal.
« on: 21 July, 2020, 05:10:59 PM »
Afternoon gents, just a question as per the title. I have the engine ready to remove, just the upper and lower mounting bolts left on. Got a nice cradle made up to support the engine, trolley jack, now the problem,
The upper rear bolt is perfectly free when I take the weight on the jack, the lower does not want to move at all. The manual says take the lower bolt out before the upper so I have been trying all sorts of positions with my cradle/jack but no luck. Anyone have any good ideas or ways forward, much appreciated  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Engine removal.
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
How are you getting on there?

Never removed the engine from a CBF1000 so can't offer any real advice other than in my experience with other motorcycle engines. The trick is in the orientation of the engine as the bolts are removed. Here you can see the frame being removed from the engine. Its different but much the same in that you can see how the engine rotates in the frame as the bolts are removed and the two part company.

Offline Numpty668

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2020, 10:41:11 AM »
Appreciate your reply, I have since looked closer and can see the bottom bolt is very rusty! Liberal WD-40 and I will try to shock the bolt loose. Always enjoy a challenge

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »
Been there with many a bolt. I have various diameter drifts I've collected over the years, they don't get too much use but when they do they save much pain and frustration.

So what's the back story here, why the engine removal?

Any pics of the progress?

Offline Numpty668

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »
Bit of shock and patience and all is good! Just 12 years of crud/rust and it’s out. Reason for removal, front left engine mounting point disintegration ☹️ When trying to remove the bolt the threaded part broke into 3 parts. So when it’s done, engine back in and off we go.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »
Pictures to follow?

diverse-leafy