Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Should I buy lowered cbf?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Funkawaana

• Bike: Cb500, R80, NT70
  • City / Town: Welwyn Garden Ci
Should I buy lowered cbf?
« on: 20 July, 2020, 06:57:56 PM »
Hi all,

New to the forum. Planning to trade my Deauville for a cbf1000. Found one that looks perfect but, its been lowered (dealer mentioned a different shock bu I don't know more than that).

I'm about 5'10"

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Any advice gratefully received

Cheers

Ian

PS I did have poke around the site on this subject. Apologies if this has already been done.

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Should I buy lowered cbf?
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2020, 04:12:32 AM »
The usual way to lower the CBF is by replacing the shock arm link or dog bone as it is affectionately called.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
And the seat has two settings. I'm vertically challenged (trousers 30") 5'7". On the lower setting I could flat foot, so at 5'10" I guess if it has been lowered you would have to put the seat up to its high setting. Sit on it to decide!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Funkawaana

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
Yeah I'm thinking of taking it for a test ride this week and see how I get on. If it's just the linkage that was changed, then that sounds a cheap-ish fix anyway (assuming the bolts aren't all seized). Don't suppose it's possible to tell if the shock itself is a different size.

I suppose the question is, if you couldn't tell if it was the shock rather than the linkage that had been changed, would it stop you buying it (it has all the touring kit I'm after)?

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »
You should also note the shock link arm modification only lowers the rear, it lowers the lower fixing for the shock. This affects the balance and handing because the bike sits up at the front. Some get around this by raising the fork stanchions in the yoke, as factory standard the the stanchions should be level with the top of the top yoke. Lastly if the bike as been lowered as a permanent modification the side stand and centre stand (if fitted) would have been shortened too.

If I found the bike too low I'd be asking the dealer to put it back to standard s part of the deal, failing that I'd walk away.

Offline Funkawaana

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
Excellent point about the stands. Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2020, 12:20:52 AM »
Coming from a Deauville you'll buy it for the engine alone regardless of the height :031:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Hagar

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2020, 07:46:15 PM »
 All my Biffers have been lowered by the dealer before i took them home, its only this Mark 2 that they changed the suspension on however they all were dropped through the front yoke and yes the side stand was shortened.

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:00:42 PM »
They lowered my bike prior to me buying it, as said the seat has three settings, I would ask the bike shop to alter the seat to its higher setting "two bolts under the rider's seat" before taking the test ride, and also if you can't put the side stand down whilst sitting on the bike, and it catches the ground. They have lowered it, look at the stand it may have signs of being cut/bent to allow it to clear the ground.
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 19 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline Funkawaana

« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2020, 08:14:28 AM »
Hi,

Great advice from all, much appreciated. In the end the dealer sold the bike before I could try it, even though I had a test ride booked. Grrr.

Still, I know what to look out for now

Cheers

diverse-leafy