Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advance riding skills  (Read 391 times)

Offline wilsey27

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: 2011
Advance riding skills
« on: 17 July, 2020, 12:02:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

After a nearly 2 year break from riding. I am considering some advanced training ahead of my 14 day ride abroad next year. And to just simply improve as a rider.

Who would you recommend or are there any members who would consider helping me with this. I would of course not be expecting them to do it for nothing.

Many thanks

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Advance riding skills
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2020, 12:18:05 PM »
Get yourself on a Bike Safe course and have your riding accessed by experts

https://bikesafe.co.uk/

Offline wilsey27

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2020, 12:27:29 PM »
Hi Art

I have done a 2 bikesafe courses in the past and a machine control course. This was with a view to advanced riding skills.

Thanks

Pete

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2020, 12:54:21 PM »
Either IAM Roadsmart (new name for IAM - Institute of Advanced Driving) as they have unlocked the ban and are starting to run their courses. Or Rospa, both are good, but I don't know if they have resumed their course. Just find out which is nearer to you and I'm sure you would enjoy it as well as riding more safely.

Some old timers who took the advanced IAM course complained the pressure to make 'best progress' wasn't helpful. At that time the training was based on the Police manual, but now the courses have been rewritten and more rigorous quality control for observers has been introduced. 

Enjoy! :028:
« Last Edit: 17 July, 2020, 12:55:18 PM by Rev Ken »
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline wilsey27

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »
Thanks very much for you replies

Cheers

Pete

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Sorry, sold the BronzeWing went back to BMW
  • Bike: Was Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »
That's a really good idea.
I did some on-road 1-1 training with an outfit called Rapid Training they were Thames Valley based (both in terms of location and personnel if you know what I mean). But this was back in the mid-00's and I'm not sure they do it any more. Definitely well worth it though  :028:
« Last Edit: 17 July, 2020, 01:40:57 PM by Ali-bear »
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2020, 05:22:41 PM »
Ten years ago at age 50 I did IAM and I genuinely wondered how I'd survived since 17 on natural talent and experience alone.

Since that year I ride with a ever changing plan for the road ahead and I am self critical within my ride and I ride professionally at all times (not slow by any means) At that time IAM meant progressive riding but that said I will always sacrifice position for safety.. any of the regular weekly training its worth the cost...  do something rather than nothing because riding is more much more fun after training
« Last Edit: 18 July, 2020, 05:36:12 PM by ivor hugh jarse »
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS