Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: puzzled by stator readings.  (Read 510 times)

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Re: puzzled by stator readings.
« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »
word of warning and its rare but I replaced all three battery stator and rectifier.. because I did stator alone and the rectifier was at fault and it fried my new stator within a few hundred miles..
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2020, 06:31:12 PM »
My bad I should have included testing the battery because the battery is part of the charging system and a faulty battery that is not holding a charge can cause the stator and/or the regulator/rectifier to overheat and burn out. Test the battery for Level of Charge and Voltage Drop...

If the Level of Charge is less than 12.4v fully charge the battery.

Voltage Drop is tested with the ignition and dipped beam on, engine not running expect 12.4v to 12.9v with a slow drop to around 12v, if the voltage drops rapidly to 11v the battery is either not fully charged or not holding a charge, it will need to be fully charged or replaced.

If any faults are found they should be fixed and the battery re-tested before continuing to test the charging system.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2020, 10:03:34 PM »
But ten to one it is the stator! (The most common fault om MK1 Biffers.JUst read dozens of posts - if of a nervous disposition you'll end up carrying a spare as they are easy to change at the roadside. I had a spare on a major Continental tour and donated it to a fellow CBF owner - it was changed just outside a border crossing at a laybye.)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2020, 11:42:31 PM »
Keep up there Ken, it's already been proven to be a failed stator with 12.35v across the battery terminals at 5,000 RPM and the stator windings shorting to ground ;-)

Reading through past posts here and elsewhere I had a little chuckle reading about the chap who replaced battery, regulator/rectifier and stator as a precautionary measure and then carried the removed parts around as spares. I read later he never ever needed them and sold them off on ebay after he sold the bike. Another chuckle moment came back in 2013 when a young lad turned up on the RBLR 1000 Poppy Appeal ride carrying a whole spare engine with him the sad part was he still failed to complete the ride  :187:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Keep up there Ken, it's already been proven to be a failed stator with 12.35v across the battery terminals at 5,000 RPM and the stator windings shorting to ground ;-)

Reading through past posts here and elsewhere I had a little chuckle reading about the chap who replaced battery, regulator/rectifier and stator as a precautionary measure and then carried the removed parts around as spares. I read later he never ever needed them and sold them off on ebay after he sold the bike. Another chuckle moment came back in 2013 when a young lad turned up on the RBLR 1000 Poppy Appeal ride carrying a whole spare engine with him the sad part was he still failed to complete the ride  :187:
I knew I was right! :001:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.