Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Broken down.  (Read 341 times)

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Broken down.
« on: 15 July, 2020, 10:38:13 AM »
Yesterday whilst out and about, I had occasion to turn off the biffer and until this point it was going rather well, second ride in over a year,  however upon returning and attempting to start the little tinker it refuse point blank to have any of it, after getting the RAC involved "I pay the cash so might as well use them"  r a short wait of an hour a very nice man turned up and admitted straight away he hadn't a clue what to do with a bike, a very refreshing statement considering that "some" would just try to wing it, so after using his tools I still couldn't fix the fault, meanwhile rather than wait around for another hour until the RAC got a trailer sorted I sent the girlfriend home for my trailer, as one can only stand so much of "Greggs" tea, the RAC fellow put the bike on to the trailer for me, and away we went, upon arriving home it was decided that I couldn't unload the bike alone due to the infirmity that my strokes have caused, so a quick call to another biffer owner was made,"Matthew Ashford" from Castleford who immediately turned up to help,thanks Mathew, anyway thats the background so the question is "WTF is wrong with the bugger" we/Mathew spanner'd the kick stand switch, gave a squirt of contact cleaner to the right switchgear and banged enthusiastically on the battery cover and fuel tank in the hope of something "clicking" back into place, I should have mentioned the bike turns over but refuses to catch, so we put the problem down to a solenoid packing its bags and leaving the ship or some such as the fuel solenoid or pump as we get the click but no whirring any ideas before I go pulling the bike apart unnecessarily please??   :465:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 19 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
Re: Broken down.
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »
When my old 09 Mk1 packed up 40 miles from home called the AA and they turned up within 20 minutes-brilliant.Then the patrolman proceeded to tell me he hadn't a clue about bikes-not so brilliant.To cut a long story short I was pretty sure it was the stator,which it indeed turned out to be.The wait for a tow truck/trailer was going to be 4 hrs so he rang his mate,who was the bike mechanic who suggested he gave me two batteries (Which he went and fetched)to get me hom.Happy days,made it home on one battery and now have a brand new spare.Now have a Mk2 that so far has been faultless.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »
Defiantly worth checking out the stator. Is the battery dead or low. Try charging the battery fully then if the bike starts put a voltmeter (multimeter) across the battery terminals with the engine running, at 5000 revs you should get a reading of about 14 volts before fan cuts in. If below 13 volts at 5000revs then you most likely has a stator issue. You should also be getting over 13 volts at tick over before the cooling fan cuts in. Just look up stator here on the search and you will see lots of information on this common problem. There are other ways of testing the stator as you will find on the search button but this is the simplest.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »
So you have a crank no start fault, assuming the cranking is up to speed I fail to see how this could be diagnosed as a battery or charging system issue. The reported symptoms are the fuel pump relay clicks but the fuel pump doesn't operate, that'll be where you need to start your troubleshooting. Since you've done all that cranking and failed to start the engine I'd check and if necessary fully charge the battery before proceeding to troubleshoot the fuel pump.

:211: Workshop Manual Section 6 FUEL SYSTEM (PGM_FI)  will be your best friend and page 55 FUEL PUMP INSPECTION is the place to start.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »
Tend to agree with Art. If the starter is cranking things over like a good 'un it could well be fuel related. Before looking at whether fuel is getting through, you can check you are actually getting a spark though by removing a plug, placing it on the engine and press the starter and see if it's sparking. (take precautions not to get zapped yourself though). Then, assuming there's a spark, it's onto checking if fuel is getting through.

Recent Posts

topic motorcycle stands
[For Sale Board]
panthers220
Yesterday at 05:17:21 PM
topic Tail Tidy
[CBF1000 - General Discussion]
Baldrick5000
Yesterday at 12:28:19 PM
topic MRA VARIABLE TOURING SCREEN MK 1 , side brackets and panniers
[Items Wanted]
moayling