Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cooling fan  (Read 789 times)

Offline flukester71

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: dungannon
Cooling fan
« on: 14 July, 2020, 01:48:04 PM »
Hi when i arrive in a town or hit slow traffic my fan is on straight away to cool the bike. I checked my coolant which does look a brown colour and not blue or green. My older CBF would never of been on as early and you would of been sitting in traffic for ages before it came on.
Is it just a case of new coolant and flush the system or could there be something else at fault.

Thanks Flukester

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Cooling fan
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »
My coolant is red

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor turns the fan on to prevent the engine from overheating, if the red coolant temperature warning light is not coming on there is probably nothing to worry about. Brown coolant is not good and a sign of a poor or skimped maintenance schedule. Treat it to a proper service with a priority to drain, flush and replace the coolant but not to neglect any other service schedule items that are due or that you have no service history of.

Offline flukester71

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2020, 07:26:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply will get the coolant changed

Flukester

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2020, 08:47:11 PM »
It might be worth checking the radiator in the area
directly behind the front wheel to make sure it is not
blocked by mud /dirt etc.

Malc

Offline flukester71

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2020, 02:07:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by g5guzzi [+]
It might be worth checking the radiator in the area
directly behind the front wheel to make sure it is not
blocked by mud /dirt etc.

Malc

No problem will check that out  :028:

Offline broady

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Immingham
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2020, 11:55:44 AM »
After reading this I think I should treat my Biffer to some fresh coolant.I have had her 4 years and as far as I know it's not been done by the previous owner. Any tips I need to know about or is it straight forward as per manual and would you buy premix or mix it yourself?

Offline flukester71

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2020, 12:31:10 PM »
I have booked mine in with the mechanic to have it done,hopefully a day next week so i will ask him what he did and let you know

Offline broady

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2020, 12:33:21 PM »
Thanks Flukester71.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
I prefer to mix my own, re-filling and flushing the system with de-ionised water before adding the correct coolant mix because you never get anywhere near completely draining the system via the drain plug. My antifreeze/coolant of choice is TRIPLE QX Red Antifreeze/Coolant around £2.50 per litre after applying the online click and collect discount at Euro Car Parts. You'll need 2 off 1L bottles of antifreeze and 5 litres of de-ionised water to flush the system and make up the 3 litres of 50:50 de-ionised water:antifreeze coolant mix.

Its a fairly straight forward job but don't follow Section 7 of the Honda Workshop Manual because it misses the step to fill the system through the filler opening (thermostat housing radiator cap) up to filler neck. There's a good hands on DIY on how to replace the coolant on a 2007 CBF1000A Honda motorcycle which is also applicable to 2006 to 2009 models. Pay particular attention to attaching some string to the syphon tube or you'll struggle to get it back where it needs to be without it getting pinched and possibly restricted by the battery tray.

Check the coolant level after the first ride (when cold) and you may find you need to top up the expansion tank with 50 to 100 ml of coolant to get the level bang on the upper line, this is normal re-check the level again on the next ride to be sure there are no leaks.

clickity click here for the DIY.

Offline broady

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2020, 04:17:14 PM »
Thank you very much Art.

diverse-leafy