Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DTC 3-4 engine light code - Exhaust solenoid dead after 600km  (Read 321 times)

Offline sloow

• Bike: 2012 CBF1000 F/A
  • City / Town: Montreal
I had the solenoid for the exhaust replaced after I was getting an engine light DTC code of 3-4, which was confimed at the shop.. Was replaced $400 later.. I don't even have 600 kms on the bike and it's doing it again. Any clues as to what else might be going on?
thank you

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: DTC 3-4 engine light code - Exhaust solenoid dead after 600km
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2020, 11:34:33 PM »
What exactly did you have replaced ?

If the original setup:-

The motor pulls one of two cables (open/close exh valve), a pot measures angular rotation in sympathy with cables movement and the valve (spring loaded open by the way) closes down and provides some restriction to air flow (improves the bottom (low revs) end smoothness and (ulimately) affords some noise reduction and I dare say improves a touch of fuel consumption (makes slightly more eco).

The "valve" is in the exhaust silencer section (at the begining).  I don't think that is replaceable on its own.

The cables are probably gunged up/seized. Continued use like that (if you were to ignore the EML) will overload the motor (and it'll fail in due course later).
Or the valve is stuck and is stopping the cables pulling (far less likely).
Or the motor is broken.

There are ways around the first two (if fixing isn't feasible), if you burn out a motor the only solution is an eliminator (not always 100% reliable).
Another 'Or', the plug (motor power and pot sensor combined) has fallen off (or not clipped in properly when last attended to).

Search this forum's posts for examples.

P.S. Any repair just 375 miles ago should be warrantied.  Take it back ?
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline sloow

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2020, 02:15:20 AM »
Thanks for this jm2! This makes a lot of sense. I will look into the cables being misrouted or dirty.. maybe I knocked the plug putting some coolant into the bike as well.. All great avenues to check. If the motor is burned out, will definitely be following up on the warranty aspect

cheers and happy riding

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle

Offline sloow

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:02:30 PM »
I did a bit more troubleshooting but am still stumped. It seems the valve isn't stuck, and when I turn on the motor, the valve will activate in at least one direction: please see video: https://lux.ca/nextcloud/index.php/s/4MpjRyfn4Sw8j3z