Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Buying cbf1000 corrosion?  (Read 329 times)

Offline GEZZA237400

Buying cbf1000 corrosion?
« on: 04 July, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
Hi I've looked at a 06 cbf1000 31k. It has some corrosion on the rear swinging arm near the rear shock. Is it something to worry about. Plus no real service history. Should I stay clear? Tia

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Re: Buying cbf1000 corrosion?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2020, 10:47:51 PM »
What's the asking price? And what do you get beside the bike for that in terms of extra's and luggage?

31,000 miles isn't that many, and depending on price leaves you a fair bit of wiggle room to add onto that before it reaches a figure that people don't like and start offering you insulting prices for.

Corrosion on the swingarm between the rear wheel and rear shock (on the u-bend part of the swingarm closest to rear tyre) is common. Mostly people not removing their rear huger or not adding it onto the list of places to clean during a clean. Your experience would have to tell you how bad bad is because you've looked at it.

Other place to look for rust is on the metal bar that is located behind the radiator (get a light or torch of some form). Shine it between the engine and radiator from behind the radiator to see in there as best you can.

Lack of service history, to me, wouldn't worry me; but then again I spanner on my own bike. If you rely entirely on workshops to do your servicing then the CBF probably isn't the cheapest bike to be getting on. The CBF600, maybe? I've not ridden one but as I understand it both use the same frame. Bit more budget friendly, I'd imagine?

Pictures, or a link to the advert would help.

Offline GEZZA237400

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »
Thanks for answering, it's up for £2.5k it's just past its not so the rust can't be that bad. I might offer £1.8k. There's another on with less corrosion but 45kmiles on the clock, that's up for £2.3k

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2020, 12:35:17 AM »
It is quite common for the older bikes to warrant a clean-up and a paint there (collects water and muck from the road).  I'm not familiar with any particular problems there and you'll be able to rub it down and treat accordingly.

That radiator bar on the mkI's is more of a concern.
At 31k likely the rear shock will be done for (unless replaced) - factor in a replacement.

That said, 2½k isn't expensive if it generally looks/rides okay.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.