Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MOT extension  (Read 267 times)

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
MOT extension
« on: 26 June, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »
Well it wasn't there the other day - I'd been checking (didn't fancy a rush down in the last few days).

This evening I see any panic is off and they've come good;  I've scored my free six-months.

Doh,  2nd January.  A rubbish time for mot for somone who winters his bikes!  So that'll be a job for the following March then.
- I can't see me doing it at the end of this season somehow.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Re: MOT extension
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »
Same here, just checked this afternoon.
Due date was 30th June and now been put back to 30th December.
Probably get it done sometime in August / September/ October.  don't want to have to take it in the snow and ice just for an MOT.
Just checked the brake pads and should last till then, given no Spanish / Portuguese epics this year.
 :030:

Online NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:52:37 PM »
I'm a little cautious about this.

I did read (no source, sadly) that it could be cancelled, and then where would that leave people?

I realise its been auctioned, but could it also be reversed?

Also only updating up to a week before the M.O.T is due is ridiculous. Garage's are picking up and my local told me there's a week wait to get in. Could cause some trouble for some with tight time-frames for getting to work etc where bike is main use and only own one.

Realise its nice to get something for free, but for £30 I'd rather stick with the normal way and know I don't have to risk getting pulled because some donkey in government has done a U-Turn on the idea.

I realise what I say is mostly hearsay, but personally I wouldn't leave it overly long.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2020, 11:40:08 PM »
Leaving things until a week before extending the MOT isn't clever. But it is there in black and white concerning what they are doing, so I would fear not. I also think that they won't rescind it once your MOT is extended. That would simply mean that people would be driving/riding around not knowing their MOT had expired. Not an option.

Of course after the end of the 6 months, there will be a bit of a bottle-neck getting your MOT I suspect. Not a problem of course if you don't mind your bike being off road in the middle of winter. But if it's your go-to-work vehicle and you don't have an alternative, then probably best to get it done sometime between the original and new expiry dates.

There has been talk of either only having an MOT test every 2 years or vehicles not needing one until they are 5 years old from time to time. Which would be reasonable. But it's such a money spinner for garages that it'll probably never happen.

Maybe the way to go is to buy a bike that's over 40 years old. No MOT required and you can tax it for free. We could all ride around on '70's Honda or Kawasaki Fours or for those that like to live dangerously, something from NVT's dying days.
« Last Edit: 26 June, 2020, 11:42:55 PM by pedro »

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2020, 01:07:55 PM »
Yes the concern was cancelling the extensions (going forward) and them only giving 7-8 days notice (too tight for me really).
I don't think they will rescind any.

I do think they will be stopping new extensions soon (they'll do it on a whim/pressure from motor sales).
And my car (not being used just now) is poised, waiting.  I'll have to wait another week I think before I either breath a sigh or plan to mot and tax (and maybe use) it.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2020, 01:20:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by pedro [+]
… There has been talk of either only having an MOT test every 2 years or vehicles not needing one until they are 5 years old from time to time. Which would be reasonable. But it's such a money spinner for garages that it'll probably never happen.

Maybe the way to go is to buy a bike that's over 40 years old. No MOT required and you can tax it for free. We could all ride around on '70's Honda or Kawasaki Fours or for those that like to live dangerously, something from NVT's dying days.
The bikes didn't fall into the 2-year MOTS (originally), nor the 'no mot for 4-years' for new bikes that they proposed for cars.

This is unlikely to happen now anyway as folk haven't even been servicing their vehicles (for years) plus the stats they claimed so many 'first vehicle mots' (at 3 years old) failed on something considered important.  I seem to remember some (certain imports) small bikes being the worse ever known.

In the '70s ('80s for me) there was "nothing wrong" with those Fours, but now I suspect rose tinted glasses et al. I even wonder if I could cope with an RG or similar for a plaything ?

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
The MOT on my bike expired on the 13th May and I automatically got a 6 month extension. I had a service done and 2 new tyres fitted on the 4th of June. While my dealer had the bike he did an MOT on it even though it had been extended to November. He explained to me that the government gave a six month extension on condition that an MOT test was taken as soon as testing stations reopened.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »
Kentcolin: Nope. If you read the relevant information on the .gov website, it's clear that it's simply a 6 month extension, without any conditions whatsoever. So your dealer was making it up really.

The only proviso that's mentioned is that the vehicle has to be kept in a roadworthy condition to be used, but that is of course always the case.

Probably no bad thing to have got it done though whilst it was there anyway.

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:35:28 PM »
Maybe my dealer needed the business !