Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Pump  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Toronto
Re: Fuel Pump
« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »
Hey Drew:

Just want to make sure, we are talking about the same bike, right, yours is also a Honda  CBF 1000 ? 
You've been most helpful, and I'll definitely contact you next time I'm out to gorgeous British Columbia,. . . .  gracias!!.

Don

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »
PS:
And I understand it, we can get a replacement filter from after market source, since Honda will not sell you just this filter, without buying the whole pump unit $1,000. 

don

Offline Dcan17

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Maple Ridge
« Reply #12 on: 03 August, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »
Hey Don,

Yes I ride an 09 mk 1. Had it since basically new.

Honda will sell you just the filter. The trick is finding someone with stock. I went into detail in this in a different thread called fuel pump/filter I believe.

I'll warn you, your about to go down a deep rabbit hole..The part number is 16011-mgc-010. The filter is used on a number of different bikes. I tried ordering new in June literally all over the world. Asia, Europe, Australia, us and Canada.....all were back ordered however, I found that a wrecked  2015 cb1100 with only 10000 miles on it being parted out on ebay and figured I'd give it a try. It shares the same filter in the fuel pump module you just need to disassemble the unit, pull the filter and install on yours. I apparently have one new one coming from bike bandit soon so I'd look to see if they have stock.

Blows my mind that people are willing to spend 1200$ for a whole pump when all that's wrong is a filter. Even if you replaced pump too, it's a fraction of the cost.

Look up my other thread, I may have other insight about my trials and tribulations regarding this issue.

Drew

Offline Dcan17

• CBF Member
« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
« Reply #14 on: 03 August, 2020, 10:04:57 PM »
Thank you again Drew, your help has probably been a life saver.  I'll check with my local Honda dealer for the part, and failing that, I'll try BikeBandit.  But first, I'll have a talk with my independent shop on Tuesday since they've worked on the bike for years.  Will let you know.

Offline Dcan17

• CBF Member
« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2020, 01:13:26 AM »
Good luck! Let me know for sure. I'm curious to see if my issue is more common than I was led to believe. :300:

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
« Reply #16 on: 04 September, 2020, 12:57:26 AM »

Hello Drew:

Well, its been a month since we re-installed the original Honda fuel pump, and no problem whatsoever.  Very strange !!   
To recap, the original Honda pump stated whistling, I endured it for a year, (OK  six months here in Toronto), and I eventually had it replaced  with a Quantum pump.  That pump failed a month ago.  So, we  took it all apart again, checked the filter which was clean, and on a chance, put back the original pump.  I've now done about a 1,000 Ks (unbearable heat this summer prevented more rides for this 72 year old), and all is well, no performance issues, nor any more whistling.  Keep my fingers crossed.

Again, I wonder if the Oxford 30 tank bag was the culprit.  It has six very strong magnets !!!   Regardless though, thank you for your efforts.

D.

Offline Dcan17

• CBF Member
« Reply #17 on: 04 September, 2020, 02:28:13 AM »
Glad to hear it's working again! Out of curiosity, how did you check the filter for cleanliness? The filter is a sealed unit. But either way I'm glad it's working. If you decide you need one, I have a spare that I could sell. Safe riding!

Drew

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2020, 12:59:37 AM »
Hi:

Regarding the pump & filter, I've had to rely on my mechanic .  He claims from what he could see , all was fine with the filter, he found no evidence of dirt buildup.  Apparently it was the Quantum pump, 100%.

Thank goodness we finally have cooler weather so I can now get out more.   I've recently completed a short 500 Ks trip, with no problems.  The 1,000  is a wonderful engine.  My trip included highway speeds of up to 130 + KPH, slower meandering country roads, and sever elevation changes (for the east), and this lovely motor did not skip a beat, it just kept enticing me to open the throttle.

Thanks again and take care .  D.