Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Pump  (Read 158 times)

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Toronto
Fuel Pump
« on: 26 June, 2020, 12:51:26 AM »
Hello:

I have a 2009 CBF 1000 with 60,000 kilometers.

One year ago I replaced the original Honda fuel pump as it was making a screeching noise.  Though there were no performance issues, I was worried the pump was dying.  On the kind advice of people on this forum, I replaced it with a Quantum fuel pump.  After two months or so, the Quantum pump stated making a similar whining sound (like when it primes).  The whining has become louder and is always present.

I've had my local garage look into it again, where they removed the pump and we tested it in a bath of fuel. It worked fine without any noise or other issue, but when  put back into the tank, the whining returned.  We're all baffled as to what might  be going on.  What are the odds the  Quantum pump is  failing too, is this perhaps a noisy pump??  The vents and filter are clean.  Anyone have a similar problem. 

Just a thought,... I use a large Oxford tank bag that has six strong magnets a fasteners.  Could the magnets have affected the pump??

Many thanks for your help;

Don

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
The magnets won't be strong enough to have an effect through the tank unless you're putting power through them as well, of course the best way to find out would be to go on a ride without the tank bag to put your mind at ease. Without being an expert on fuel pumps they pump fuel to a given pressure then stop pumping when its reached, so a leak in between the injector and the pump would cause it to go like crazy, as would a lack of fuel the other side, say you've got a block in a bit of tubing somewhere.

Only other thing that sprang in to my head, is that you could be hitting the resonance frequency of something? I had this problem on a previous bike albeit a different set of circumstances. Rubber washers all the way in that case.

Offline Fernie 66

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:46:59 PM »
Thank you for your response (spinspin).

I omitted to say I did try minus the tank bag, but  the noise persists , whether idling or under power.  It's so frustrating because we did the procedure twice; out of the tank the pump works  silently , in the tank its noisy. 
The bike continues to perform brilliantly, no hiccups whatsoever, so I'm hoping it is the resonance / frequency thingy you mentioned. 

Be safe, re the Covid 19 virus.

D.

Offline Dcan17

• Bike: 2009 CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Coquitlam
« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2020, 11:49:10 AM »
Are you sure the filter after the pump is clean? im having similar issues with fuel pump and seem to have traced it to the fuel filter after the pump. have you done a fuel flow test? running the pump into a bucket doesn't generate much stress on the pump but with it attached to fuel rail, the pump load is dramatically increased. The service manual calls for 189mL in 10 seconds.