Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Temp Gauge Light  (Read 800 times)

Offline maxstu

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Margate
Temp Gauge Light
« on: 15 June, 2020, 09:58:50 AM »
Should it illuminate on turn of ignition key and go off as engine starts like oil light? Or only illuminate when beginning to overheat?
Regards
Stuart

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Temp Gauge Light
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2020, 10:14:31 AM »
Its hidden in plain view and only comes on if the engine coolant entering the thermostat housing overheats. Not the best idea, I've often wondered if mine works because its never shown itself and riding in London city motor traffic in +30°C I'm sure it must have become too hot at least once or twice.

Offline maxstu

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Margate
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »
Thanks Art.
I might have test to see if bulb is working. I guess its a matter of connecting or earthing wires to bulb
Regards
Stuart

Offline alfau

• Bike: Cbf 1000A 2008
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2020, 03:49:18 AM »
Hi! I am a little dyslexic so hope this makes sense.
Another aspect to coolant temp.
It apparently is linked to the idle speed. my bike has been surging at idle and seems to idle a little too high, haven't noticed surge at speed though. I was thinking the thermostat could be dicey or it could be a vacuum leak, starting to develop  arms like an orangutan.
Here is another kinky trick i discovered while on this quest -  turn ignition key on then off, hold the two trip meter buttons down for three seconds then ignition back on again and bingo the HSS light stops flashing.
Looking forward to the verdict about coolant temp light.

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »
Hi alfau, are you saying that you tend to get the temperature light come on while idling, and your bike seems to idle high but the speed varies?
When you first switch the engine on like in every vehicle the dash should look like a Christmas tree because its testing all the lights. Could be the ECT sensor is faulty, it should have a set resistance at a given temperature if you want to test it.

The idle speed will change as the bike warms up but once the engine is warm idle should be a pretty steady 1200 RPM ±100 a few things can cause rough idling from fouled spark plugs to pinched sensor connections and holes in air lines. Can you hold it at a steady 3000 RPM without any load or does it fluctuate there as well?

Offline alfau

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2020, 07:22:57 AM »
I logged in yesterday to investigate the location of a coolant temperature sensor and if there is a thermostat in the cooling system somewhere. A bit of a coincidence someone else is dabbling in the same area.  Looking at the wiring diagram does not help with "it's location" especially as I didn't know it is called ECT.
The idle speed after it warms up is about 1100 which seemed high to me but is within acceptable range apparently. thank you for telling me that.
The temp light does not come on at all, the fan kicks in when it has warmed up. I will try 3000 rpm to see if it fluctuates. If so I will know to look for pinched sensor connections and holes in air lines. thanks for that too.
I have a Buell with DDFI which is totally different to CBF. names of sensors and the way the system works.
Learning CBF fi system is a steep curve in the opposite direction.
I am running some injection cleaner which should clean up the system, it works great on the Buell.
I hadn't meant to hijack this thread but it is kind of related to the topic if you squint.
Cheers for your input spinspin .

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
The Buell DDFI fuel system isn't that different to the Honda EFI fuel system, that's just the hype that Harley Davidson want us to think.

All water cooled engines have a thermostat and they can all be found in the same place -  at the opposite end of the coolant top hose to the radiator.  The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is a little more tricky, on the CBF its mounted on the front of the thermostat housing not in the cylinder block or cylinder head where you might expect it to be.

If you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here
« Last Edit: 17 June, 2020, 09:24:37 AM by Art »

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:15:13 PM »
All this jumping on other people's threads and those that resurrect old threads (some over ten years ago) isn't helping clear the muddy waters.

To the OP, who I'm sure is sorted now; No, the temp warning light doesn't come on (until too hot). It is a shame it is unchecked but understand the circuit and you'll see why.

The ECT stands for Engine Coolant Temperature - how can that one be any clearer ?

The ECT is, in fact, two senders in one. One is the trigger for the high temp led as a sort of bolt & braces warning that somewhere along the cooling chain events aren't in control.

I'd like to suggest folk digest the manuals (which do state where the sensors are located) and ask questions afterwards to clarify/explain/suggest a way forward.

Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »
That's you @Alfau told off, its a firm but fair point jm2 makes. My thoughts are this forum isn't what it used to be, much is now known about the CBF and much of that knowledge is reproduced somewhere or other within these forum pages if only the reader could be bothered to search and assuming the wheat could be sorted from the chaff. The Honda Workshop Manuals are now freely available too albeit they do contain some errors. I've not come across any errors in the Haynes Manual (4927) and at less than £17.00 for a printed copy delivered to your door it must be an absolute bargain.

Should we invoke Rule No.1 - You can't help those who can't first help themselves.

Happy days (I've been on the IPA most the afternoon)

Offline alfau

« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2020, 07:29:38 AM »
Weilding imaginary authority pissant/S.
« Last Edit: 18 June, 2020, 07:45:06 AM by alfau »

diverse-leafy