Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2009 Mk 1 abs, Should the rear wheel lock up whilst on MOT Roller  (Read 1717 times)

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
Re: 2009 Mk 1 abs, Should the rear wheel lock up whilst on MOT Roller
« Reply #20 on: 10 July, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
How do you calculate brake efficiency?
The weight of the vehicle can be found in the vehicle's manual. Divide the vehicle's weight by the total brake effort, and then multiply the number by 100 to get the brake efficiency percentage.

The above is what it says on the internet but that is what we had to do
when we brake tested HGV brakes before we got computer linked brake rollers.
modern brake rollers weigh the axle weight of the vehicle being tested

The test machine does all the calculations except for linked
brake systems on bikes The tester has to add the linked brake figures for front and rear
 together to calculate the efficiency of the linked system.

Malc

Offline Careca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sevenoaks
« Reply #21 on: 11 July, 2020, 11:27:43 AM »
Thanks for that explanation. We learn something new every day but the whole thing still doesn't make sense to me  as not the entire vehicle is on the rollers, just the front or the back so the total vehicle weight is kind of useless and makes the calculation wrong.

Anyway , I hope the OP got an MOT.

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: 11 July, 2020, 05:23:26 PM »
It’s calculated on “axle weight” .  Not total vehicle weight.

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
« Reply #23 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:43:28 AM »
After 8 miles and some heavy rear combined braking, which seemed to work  ok, I returned to the same MOT test garage and a different MOT examiner passed it !         The readings on the screen seemed good and the rear wheel did not appear to lock, the rear did not jump out of the rollers although when testing the front it did. I was just glad to get away with a pass and will not be returning.   

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #24 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
Having passed you should have asked for an explanation of the test and why the other tester had failed it  :027:

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
« Reply #25 on: 13 July, 2020, 01:25:57 PM »
It makes me question the experience of some MOT examiners when testing modern vehicles now fitted with all sorts of electronic systems. The first examiner that failed the bike was not present and it was not for this second examiner to explain the actions of the first. Some times all's well that ends well but, the question is still not properly answered and there is some difference of opinion. I think MOT examiners working in busy dealerships on nearly new cars or bikes will have a much greater  opportunity for experience of electronic issues than a small back street type garage that mainly carries out repairs on older vehicles. 

Offline Careca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sevenoaks
« Reply #26 on: 13 July, 2020, 02:50:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rick [+]
After 8 miles and some heavy rear combined braking, which seemed to work  ok, I returned to the same MOT test garage and a different MOT examiner passed it !         The readings on the screen seemed good and the rear wheel did not appear to lock, the rear did not jump out of the rollers although when testing the front it did. I was just glad to get away with a pass and will not be returning.

That says it all.

What I would be interested to know is ............lets just say it failed again. What would you fix/change/do to make it pass ?

Personally I think you could change the entire rear braking system and nothing would change .

Bonkers init ?

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #27 on: 13 July, 2020, 03:06:39 PM »
I'd still have asked what the brake test requirements were, better to ask a qualified MOT tester face to face than post the question to a largely unqualified audience on the internet. Could it be you misunderstood the reason why the first tester failed the braking system and/or that '8 miles of heavy combined brake system action' bedded the pads in gaining a little more brake efficiency?

Regardless of where they work MOT testers have to meet the same requirements, experience criteria and qualifications including separate qualifications to carry out the MOT tests . That includes all modern braking systems which as far as the Honda ABS CBS system is concerned has been around for at least 20 Years now, so its not exactly new.

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
« Reply #28 on: 13 July, 2020, 05:06:58 PM »
Thanks for the above replies. No I am not mistaken ART, I did question the first mot examiner who stated that it had failed because the rear wheel did not lock up on the rollers. This was despite me saying that surely the abs would prevent this and to the best of my recollection I had never seen it lock during previous MOTs. Yes during my 8 miles of heavy rear combined braking the newish rear pads could have bedded in more, that was my intention. However, the rear wheel still did not appear to lock on the second test but apparently gave good enough readings to pass. The purpose of this post really was just to get feedback from other owners ON ABS CBFs DOES THE REAR WHEEL LOCK UP ON THE MOT ROLLERS OR NOT ?

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #29 on: 14 July, 2020, 08:11:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rick [+]
Thanks for the above replies. No I am not mistaken ART, I did question the first mot examiner who stated that it had failed because the rear wheel did not lock up on the rollers. This was despite me saying that surely the abs would prevent this and to the best of my recollection I had never seen it lock during previous MOTs. Yes during my 8 miles of heavy rear combined braking the newish rear pads could have bedded in more, that was my intention. However, the rear wheel still did not appear to lock on the second test but apparently gave good enough readings to pass. The purpose of this post really was just to get feedback from other owners ON ABS CBFs DOES THE REAR WHEEL LOCK UP ON THE MOT ROLLERS OR NOT ?
Unlikely, but the regs are clear, look them up for yourself! (DVSA MOT manuals) :211:
The first tester was wrong. End of story. :157:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.