Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Effect of changing beams to LED on a 2018 modelo  (Read 586 times)

Offline Alberto

• CBF Member
Effect of changing beams to LED on a 2018 modelo
« on: 13 June, 2020, 08:49:46 PM »
Does anyone has changed original bulbs or beams to LED in CBF1000 model. I change them yesterday because main bulb failed, but I am worried about the effect on fuse protection because of different resistance (ohms) in the LED bulbs from the original.
Thanks in advance for your advises.

Offline Alberto

• CBF Member
Re: Effect of changing beams to LED on a 2018 modelo
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
My CBF 1000 is model 2008

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2020, 10:39:57 PM »
Yes have changed all my bulbs to LED, fuzes no problem and no reason for them to blow as they are drawing fewer amps. I've seen a suggestion that it may make your regulator / rectifier warmer but having checked the CBR and CB forums as well before I changed mine no one had anything bad to say about changing over.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2020, 04:13:35 AM »
I think the question is - If you've replaced the stock 55W H7 bulbs with 15W LED bulbs should you replace the fuse for a lower rated fuse?

I've always thought the 20A Headlight Passing Circuit fuse was over rated and should be be replaced with a 15A or even a 10A fuse but have never done anything about it. If you've replaced the 55W H7 headlight bulbs with a 15W LED bulbs then you should be changing the fuse too. I'd replace the 20A Headlight Passing fuse with a 10A fuse and carry a spare 15A fuse to be sure to be sure.

If you've replaced all the bulbs for lower wattage LED bulbs then you should also be replacing the fuse for lower rated fuse too and yes the Regulator Rectifier will work harder and run hotter in disposing of the unwanted output.
« Last Edit: 14 June, 2020, 04:21:43 AM by Art »

Offline Alberto

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2020, 08:24:45 PM »
Excellent answers, thanks a lot to Spin spin and to Art. I will check on the watts of new and former bulbs, and follow your advise. The new LED lights look great and have taken a few years off my CBF, that has only 38.000 Km and it has been up to now a great joy to ride and maintenance free.

Is there any simple way to avoid damage to the Regulator Rectifier, due to less resistance in the LED"s   

I joined the CBF 1000 Forum in 2008 and is a great way to get connected with other CBF owners.

Thanks again   

Offline NewGuy

• Bike: 08 CBF1000A Mk1
  • City / Town: Kemptville ON
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2020, 10:02:40 PM »
Hi All
New to the form but not to electrical systems. Fuses are to protect the wiring, not the accessory.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2020, 01:40:48 AM »
Fuses protect the wiring and the accessories. The main fuses, normally 30A, protect the wiring loom. The sub fuses protect the accessories.

Offline greybeard 2

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR
  • City / Town: Penkridge
« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »
Hi that is what the regulator is there for ,to regulate .If you replace original lamps with lower wattage ones it will reduce the load requirements of the alternator and the regulator will take care of it.Simples :
grey beard

diverse-leafy