Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BEFORE YOU REPLACE YOUR FORK SEALS  (Read 283 times)

Online Careca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sevenoaks
BEFORE YOU REPLACE YOUR FORK SEALS
« on: 11 June, 2020, 09:15:59 PM »
I know leaking fork seals are a pain in the backside to do . Not overly difficult but labour intensive and its bike off road for a time especially if you have to pay someone else to do your seals like most people have to do .

There is something I want to share with you and can I  just say I am in NO way connected with the product / company / getting paid etc etc.

I first tried it when I had leaking Ohlins  USD forks on my Aprilia. Ohlins are known for leaking apparently  and as you can imagine being USD forks once it starts to leak it really flows out. Anyway, I read about seal mate and fell for the blurb and thought for the £6 I paid at the time I way as well try it and got myself a set . Easy to use just READ the instructions and take your time . They did exactly what they said they would do . £££ saved and no more leaks .

I know sometimes we read something and go , yea right pull the other one, but it really did work.

If your fork seals are really knackered I suspect its not going to help much ,  but if they have just started showing signs, try it . I used a seal mate on a fork that wasn't leaking and the amount of crap that came out surprised me . Now its worth just running the seal mate tool round the seals just to keep the seal clean of debris that will of course cause it to fail .

https://sealmate.net/

Linky to their website.

If it helps someone then great ,

Regards,
Nat.

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: BEFORE YOU REPLACE YOUR FORK SEALS
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2020, 04:16:23 AM »
Shocking (see what I did there) but good info and may be a timely reminder for some. There are several tools out there for cleaning between the fork oil seal and fork stanchion its an old school mechanics trick. No need for any fancy tool either just use what's in the tool box already - a feeler gauge blade. Reshaping the wider end of an old worn out feeler gauge blade into a hook makes the tool more efficient. Seal cleaning tools can also be home made from plastic milk bottles, similar plastic cartons or even plastic bottle tops! A smear of red rubber grease around the cleaned up oil and dust seals will be of benefit too in giving the seals a new lease of life as well as acting as a dust trap or barrier, most of the time the real problem here is a failed dust seal. Don't panic if some oil leaks out during cleaning that is to be expected and its best practice to check the oil level when done.

This will not fix anything more than a weeping fork oil seal and only works where the dust seal has failed and allowed dust and debris to get underneath the oil seal, it may end up as a temporary fix that reoccurs but it'll cost you nothing other than 10 minutes of your time. The worse case scenario is the seals may need to be replaced anyway but do check the condition of the stanchions too.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2020, 09:43:27 AM »
Have used apiece of 35 mm film before now with great success.Ed :046:

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »
That works,  a soft drinks can is another idea. I've used cut down strips of oil can and cable ties as piston ring clamps. Maybe we need to start a who needs special tools thread
« Last Edit: 12 June, 2020, 11:47:19 AM by Art »

diverse-leafy