Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MKII - possible leak?  (Read 522 times)

Offline ignixx

• Bike: CBF 1000 FA
  • City / Town: Gdynia
MKII - possible leak?
« on: 08 June, 2020, 09:25:59 PM »
Hey, today I've ridden ~80 kilometers. Different speeds usually ~100 km/h at times more like 150 km/h. When I got back to the garage I noticed these stains on the left side near the engine to be more visible (look like they come from front left side of the bike). Come to think of it, they show there after each ride I had but were less visible than today. Again - I own the bike for 2 weeks now so I am am not sure is it normal, but it doesn't look normal to me. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: MKII - possible leak?
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:45:50 PM »
It could be road fling, it could be a coolant leak. Any stains on or around the radiator? How is the coolant level, have you looked at the coolant level over time?

Offline Careca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sevenoaks
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »
Hello,

I am a newbie on here so not the expert but .......

That looks like a coolant leak to me.  Start by checking the coolant level and top up if necessary.

I would start the bike up and let it sit idling , so it gets  nice and  hot and see if you can see where it is coming from . If you see nothing rev it up a bit, the waterpump should increase the pressure and should reveal your leak.

The top of that bottom hose is damp round the top.
However the bottom of that hose does not have a clamp at all.  It needs a clamp otherwise there is a risk it comes off and you will lose all your coolant very quickly .
I would also check the top of that hose. The top looks damp to me and although it will take you a bit longer, I would take that hose off completely, inspect the hose , clean up the ends , get the bottom clamp and refit.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »
Well spotted Careca, missing hose clamp!

Offline ignixx

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2020, 10:32:42 PM »
Today I went to see a mechanic as I have my MK II on 3 months guarantee from the used motorcycle dealer.

He told me what you guys did, that coolant leak was caused by lower hose, upper clamp not tightening up properly according to him. He told me it was a bit wet under it. He did some adjustments and ask me to clean the mess it caused and watch will that help. The coolant level didn't drop almost at all according to him so it is minor leak that happened here.

Regarding the 2nd clamp near the bottom of that hose missing - I need to check this out! Tomorrow before ride to work I will inspect it further. If it is really missing, is it easy to buy this?

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2020, 08:00:58 AM »
The missing clamp and the clamp identified as not tightening up properly needs to be replaced. Take it back to the dealer you got the bike from and let them fix at their cost! What sort of mechanic identifies such simple problems without fixing them? I wouldn't use him again.

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2020, 01:37:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
The missing clamp and the clamp identified as not tightening up properly needs to be replaced. Take it back to the dealer you got the bike from and let them fix at their cost! What sort of mechanic identifies such simple problems without fixing them? I wouldn't use him again.

Agreed, and reading OP's response from the mechanic is quite shocking... especially since its them that sold it, and is supposed to be under warrenty.

Telling you to clean up the coolant that was caused by a leak as a direct resulting of a fault that they sold the bike with is a joke, and a mechanic that can't even be arsed to get the rag out to give a customer a clean bike back (in this case) is laughable.

I'd be glad you spotted this as constant leakage could have resulted in damage (low coolant, keep riding etc).

The fact is you are missing a clamp. Number 24 on here:

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5588602/cbf1000f-abs-2011-pearl-cool-white-any-cbf1000fab/radiator

On the bottom of the radiator there's an L shape hose, the clamp there is what you're missing.

I'd phone them back up and say that you want both clamps replacing, and in the very least the one at the bottom adding as you can't be sure it wont leak again.

Then I'd take it to another local trusted dealer and get the coolant level cheked. A guy that can't get a rag out... does he really know how to check the coolant level or is he trying to save his shop money by not replacing it and cut corners hoping you wont notice?

Offline ignixx

« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »
I just got back from work (I ride ~30 KM each way).

After the mechanic tightened the upper clamp, it didn't leak anything today. What I did check is that there is clamp on pump further (picture included). I think it was not seen in pic before because it is black and the screw was from the bottom. Today I made sure and it is there.

However, this bottom clamp is definitely loose. You can clearly see coolant is sprayed from it directly over the engine.

Tomorrow I plan to tighten this one up myself. I hope it will finish the leak problem for good.

I've checked the coolant level myself (as on pic) it is near the upper limit, so it should be good.

Regarding the mechanic, I fully agree he could treated this a bit more seriously and spent at least a bit time on that.

I am also putting a picture with a pump near crashpad, do you guys think clamp should be there too? I am not sure about this from different MKII engine pics tbh.

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2020, 07:47:02 PM »
Ah, good to see the lower clamp is not entirely missing.

I wouldn't be too happy about further coolant damage post visiting them, and wouldn't use them again. If tightening it up yourself doesn't solve the issue then I'd get straight on the phone and tell them you don't want it back until they've fixed, and test ridden it, to ensure it doesn't leak. I know its easy to be all dramatic on the internet but coolant loss is hardly an issue that can be ignored, and for me would be a serious concern while riding it. I'd pull over and recover it to them if I knew I was pissing coolant mid ride. If the clip can come loose there's nothing to say it can't wobble causing a more serious leak. Dramatic, but the idea is there.

It may be the case that the clip is too small meaning it can't get a real good grip because all the adjustment is being used, but that's a total guess. Just to put the idea on the table if it tightens and leaks again.

In terms of buying clips these things are wholly generic, and can be gotten from just about anywhere.

I can't comment on your further question regards clamp be needed or not in the last post, sorry.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2020, 09:06:17 PM »
That is one misleading picture with the hidden in plain view hose clamp. Assuming you checked the coolant level with the engine cold the level looks fine although the coolant itself looks past best. The last picture is of a protective sleeve in the middle of a hose.

Important note - Do not overtighten that loose hose clamp. Not a lot of people know this but rubber hose clamps should not be tightened any more than what will compress the diameter of the hose under the clamp by a maximum of 2mm, note the 2 mm is a maximum not a target and most hose clamps will be more than tight enough well before the hose is compressed by 2 mm.