Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacement windscreen  (Read 398 times)

Offline hashamyim

• Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: München
Replacement windscreen
« on: 08 June, 2020, 07:05:46 PM »
Howdy all!
I'm a new motorbike rider and have got myself a second-hand CBF1000 - I absolutely love it.
However, when I ride for more than about an hour, I get a lot of neck and back pain. This is a bit of a hindrance as I'd really like to go on a tour to some places that are more than an hour away!!
In any case, being quite a tall guy, I have lowered the seat to the lowest setting, which helps a bit. But then I was told that the wind on my helmet could be an issue.
Apparently, when you are riding, the windshield on the front should really stop you feeling much wind resistance as you are going along.
I'm not so sure to what extent a small bit of plastic can should you from 120kph winds, but my helmet does get shoved from side to side a bit when I go faster than about 80kph. Maybe that causes muscle strain?
I'm therefore thinking about replacing my windshield.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Is the standard Honda windshield really much worse than an alternative, e.g. from MRA?
Any input greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: 08 June, 2020, 07:06:33 PM by hashamyim »

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Replacement windscreen
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:38:40 PM »
When you say "my helmet does get shoved from side to side a bit when I go faster than about 80kph" are you saying your helmet is moving on your head?

Offline hashamyim

« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:44:17 PM »
Sorry, no. My head and helmet are firmly lodged together as one unit. But my helmet is being bobbed around and thus my head with it.
I read the instruction manual this evening and it turns out that you can move the windshield up and down, per preference. I moved it to the lower setting and went for 30 mins drive this evening and it would appear that the windshield is causing turbulence. When it was previously on the higher position, the turbulence was landing on my face-level, it would seem. Now, with the lower setting, the turbulence is landing on my chest area. Neither is great, to be honest. Is the turbulence not meant to be thrown up over your head/helmet?! Or have I misunderstood the aim of the windshield?

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:55:45 PM »
I'd prefer something better than the stock screen but it seems if you ask two people about screens you get three answers. So I'm sticking with the stock screen although I'm tempted by one of these.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2020, 11:47:12 PM »
Buffeting.  Well documented on here.
Oddly, try the screen on a lower position.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
 :460:

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009
  • City / Town: Mississauga
« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2020, 03:03:35 AM »
Do be tempted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Motorcycl-Risen-Adjustable-Windscreen-Windshield-Spoiler-Air-Deflector/113675506939

Ideally if you can get it with a return policy ...bought mine on Amazon.

It works the charm on mine .. went from a windy chore on the slab to relaxed and much easier to hear the audio book

You need to be careful with the locks for the various adjusters that they are snug - I lost one ( not fatal to the device ) on the highway as did another reviewer. I'm getting to the point now that I have the angle determined that I put some thing in place to freeze the locks in place. Some putty or some such you can peel away.

I'd start with an angle like this - same as the windscreen. Looks kludgy from this angle but not so much from rider view but very very worthwhile if it works for your height.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000

Offline hashamyim

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2020, 06:11:08 PM »
Good news everyone! So, I ordered myself a MRA windshield and installed it at the weekend - oh the difference!
The wind is no longer punching me in the face and after 2 hours or driving, I had no aches at all.
Another problem solved. Thanks guys :-)

diverse-leafy