Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello , another newbie  (Read 349 times)

Offline Careca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sevenoaks
Hello , another newbie
« on: 07 June, 2020, 03:10:03 PM »
A damp hello from Kent today,

Just got myself a CBF1000 A-8 . 
Had a test ride and liked all of it except the screen , which was horrid.

Thus the first question I shall be asking is about screens.

Not my first bike , i have been riding since I was 16 and here I am 40 years later still at it.

Look forward to speaking to you soon.
Nat.

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Hello , another newbie
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
Hi Nat. I'm fairly new as well, in the recent posts there is currently a touring screen for sale in case you want to snap it up. I guess you know there are two mounting positions with a bit of adjustment for the screen as standard? If not you just need a Philips head screwdriver to change the position. It may be worth giving it a try in a different position before you change it all together.

Offline Careca

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I have seen the Givi touring screen and am bidding on it so hopefully I can try that.

The bike had a MRA screen fitted , the one with the small spoiler on it. I have no idea what the standard screen is like but that MRA screen was absolutely atrocious whatever the setting. Without doubt the worst bike/screen combination I have ever ridden. No screen would have been better.

I have asked the dealer to change it for a standard screen which they are going to do for me and I will go from there .  Im handy with the spanners so changing it out shouldn't be an issue.

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2020, 06:48:08 PM »
It’s all subjective with screens and of course it’s mainly down to us being different sizes. I’ve had MRA screens on 3 bikes now. 2 CBF’s and a GTR 1400. Always on the lowest fixing and alter the top blade to suit. A tap washer under the top bolts also helps with airflow. I hope you are not too disappointed with the stock screen. Some get on ok with it and others bin it straight away. Good luck

Offline Careca

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:18:50 PM »
I will certainly try it first, no point in chucking it away without trying it.

I did see something about a tap washer. So a tap washer is placed between the screen and the bodywork on just the top 2 screws or under all 4 ?

Thanks for the tip . Will most definitely try that first.

The bike I test rode had an MRA screen. I couldn't adjust the main screen but the " spoiler " could be moved. I didn't notice any difference whatever  position I moved it to.

Im 6ft and 34 leg . Not sure if that's normal or what but will certainly try the Honda screen first plus any tricks ( washers ) that people recommend before splashing out  on a new one.

See , already learning things from you lot................so thank you.
« Last Edit: 07 June, 2020, 10:22:50 PM by Careca »

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:52:39 AM »
Tap washer is experimental. Place between screen and bodywork. I had mine at the top but try all combinations to see what works for you. I am at the other end of the scale at 5’6”. Have a play with it and hopefully you will find the best place.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »
Never had a problem with the standard screen. 2008 CBF1000. I keep it on its lowest position and just get a steady stream of air. If I put it on the high setting I get the buffeting people complain about. I'm 5ft 9ins and have the seat height on medium, all which makes a difference. Speeds above 80mph I duck down a bit.

Offline marky99925

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: limerick
« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2020, 01:28:44 PM »
as per previous poster, ive stuck with the standard screen on the lowest setting, i tried the higher setting and was buffeted around all over the place, also the breeze tends to limit the chances of losing the licence ! Im 6ft 3 by the way if that helps.
As per other comments it's such a personal issue there's literally no one size fits all, hope you sort it out, i bought my cbf after a blackbird, as a stop gap for maybe a year, six years later im loving it, but i did spend on it, maxton fork conversion and shock, best investment ever. five trips round spain two up.
What do people actually do with 170bhp, just quote it in the pub?

diverse-leafy