Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated gear ... who uses a heated jacket and gloves?  (Read 369 times)

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
Heated gear ... who uses a heated jacket and gloves?
« on: 06 June, 2020, 03:54:20 AM »
Hey there,

Can the CBF handle the load of a heated jacket and gloves?

I like the comfort in the early spring and fall. Heated gear really helps extend the riding season. Anyone here wear heated gear?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Heated gear ... who uses a heated jacket and gloves?
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »
Assuming you have the stock 8.6 Ah battery and that its in good condition the 350W stator should be able to keep up. Typically, on full power, heated jacket + heated gloves can require up to 10A/130W. Powered by the battery alone I'd expect the battery to discharge rapidly, for this reason I'd ignore the supplied instructions and make the electrical connection via a switched relay taking the relay trigger off the dipped beam headlamp. That way ignition off - heated kit off, ignition on - heated kit on, starter motor on - heated kit off, it saves the battery.

At 1,200 RPM to 2,000 RPM the battery could be discharging, at 2,500 RPM I'd expect the battery/charging system to be holding its own. So how well it copes depends on the riding conditions, on the open road it should be fine, in stop start city traffic it could struggle. If the CBF is a daily ride I would make a note of the battery voltage each morning for the first week or two to check what effect the heated kit is having on the battery's level of charge.

Offline Liv0704

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 cbf1000 x 2
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2020, 04:14:04 PM »
Hi Mike, agree with Art, I have been using your above heated gear on the cbf for the past 5 years and no issues.

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2020, 12:50:48 PM »
Thanks Art! Thanks Liv!

Appreciate the feedback, good to know.

Liv, have you wired in a switch relay?

Offline Liv0704

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 cbf1000 x 2
« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2020, 02:13:43 PM »
Nope, just fused, I have to unplug when i get off the bike, so I didn't bother.

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »
I've been thinking about taking my seat cover off and inserting heat pads to make all season touring a bit more comfortable as well. I don't know what the normal drain on the battery is for sure but adding everything up and round upwards:

Headlights: 2 x 55w = 110w
sidelights + number plate: 3x 5w = 15w
taillight (assuming its on all the time): 1 x 5/21w
Indicators: 4x 21w = 84w
The rest I'm giving an educated guess at but if anyone knows better then please correct me
Ignition system: 4 x1.5A =72w
Dash: 5w
ECU: 10w
Fuel pump & injectors: 72w
Total = 394w with everything on all the time
Reality is you don't have everything on so normal draw is going to be closer to 230w, which like the others have said means you're looking tight on power if you're drawing 10A to keep yourself warm.

You could change your bulbs to LED's, which would probably save around 40w under normal running or 155w in Christmas tree mode. That gives a bit of extra wiggle room. I think its the route I may take if I can find a suitable way of connecting the pads.

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009
  • City / Town: Mississauga
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2020, 07:02:44 AM »
I use First Gear heated glove liner which I prefer over heated grips.
I've never found the need for heated jacket or jacket liner.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000