Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Eng. cuts out and FI light comes on.  (Read 600 times)

Offline Davy

• Bike: CBF1000 A6
Eng. cuts out and FI light comes on.
« on: 02 June, 2020, 10:07:50 PM »
Hi,
I bought a CBF1000 A6 2006 with 16500 miles and have covered 200 miles with no problems at all.
On my last two runs the  engine  has cut out and the FI light come on.
When you pull over and switch the ignition of and restart as normal it all comes to life again and runs fine - until the same thing randomly happens again! Three times now.
There are no fault codes flashing up when the engine is idling with side stand down.
No problem staring. Runs well - then when moving along nicely the engine cuts out
Any ideas why?  :465:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Eng. cuts out and FI light comes on.
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2020, 10:56:39 PM »
I think you'll have to flash the codes using the DTC (link) if you've nothing showing.
Find your plug and make the bridge - see the workshop manual for your bike mkI ?

Suspect fuel or battery charging says the book in the first instance.
- you could do a battery charging check first, easy enough with a multimeter (check not going over volts at high revs if that's when it is cutting out or low volts on idle if cutting out from there).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2020, 04:19:42 AM »
The fault codes will only flash with the engine running on the side stand if they are current fault codes. If the engine is not running the code will not flash. When you switch off and restart the fault code is clearing and you will only be able to read it as a stored fault code through the Data Link Connector, I did a dedicated post on doing this have a read read up there...

How to read Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Offline Davy

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:38:39 PM »
Checked the reg/rec and it seems ok. 13.82 V at 1500 revs up to 14.06V at 5000 revs. I think it should be more like 15V by at least it's not over charging the battery.

The fault code is 12 i.e. Engine does not start Faulty No. 1 injector or wiring

In my case the engine starts no problem and runs well! Then, with no warning, it dies. Switch of the eng, re start and of you go again!

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2020, 02:10:41 AM »
14.5v @ 5,000 RPM is probably about the maximum to expect, 14.2v is more typical, 14.02v is acceptable and is within specification. The voltage could be lower than expected due to the multimeter battery being low.

DTC 12 - Check No1 injector connectors, wiring, voltage, resistance etc.
If the engine is running you can use a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the injectors clicking.
If the engine is not running follow the troubleshooting sequence in the Workshop Manual Section 6 page 29 here
If you suspect a failed injector and want to double check your diagnosis clear fault code, swap injectors and see if the fault swaps

The engine cuts out because the ECM has detected an injector fault.
« Last Edit: 04 June, 2020, 02:28:40 AM by Art »

Offline Davy

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:12:33 PM »
Problem sorted - I hope!
Electrical connector to No. 1 injector was not seated correctly giving a poor connection.
Cleaned it, installed it properly and checked it was working - receiving battery voltage and resistance within spec.
With a long screw driver you can heard it "clicking" away.
Cleared the DTC and took it for a test run with no issues.
Thanks guys for your help.  :001:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:36:15 PM »
 :062:
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2020, 02:33:38 AM »
Happy Days

diverse-leafy