Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting MRA screen  (Read 277 times)

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
Fitting MRA screen
« on: 01 June, 2020, 09:36:04 PM »
Hi everyone, just fitted new screen, all good, but canít get the black screw covers back on1x LHS & 1 xRHS. THe screw holes on new screen are 2 to 3 mm smaller than original.

My question is, is their a knack to getting the rubber nipples to fit the new holes, I canít believe were meant to drill the holes out. Thanks  jon

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Fitting MRA screen
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »
Not a problem I've encountered on windscreens and I would suggest some lubrication (red rubber grease) to ease the fitting but with 2-3 mm I'm thinking if you ever got the retaining bung correctly engaged then disassemble would be difficult without causalities. The first thing to do is to accurately measure the MRA holes and the original holes for comparison. Top Tip - Use the shank end of a drill bit as a 'go no go gauge' to measure the holes. It may also be worthwhile to measure the hole centres, the thickness of both screens and the diameter of the bung shank. Pass those details on to the supplier for their comment and be prepared for answers such as "we've not heard of that before" and "we've sold/fitted hundreds of these without issue" which don't help to solve the problem. The screen you've been supplied with may be a one off manufacturing error, the start of a bad batch or even a 'pirate copy'.

If you do end up choosing to drill out the holes to the correct diameter you'll need a clean hole with a very slight chamfer at both ends to ease assembly/disassembly and you do so at your own risk.

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2020, 11:14:58 AM »
As Art says,  fitted & refitted a couple of MRA screens now without any difficulty with rubber screw covers.  Seems a bit odd as MRA stuff is usually top quality.
Drill shank diameter check is essential before drilling out but if you do and don't polish out and flare the holes it's very likely the lugs will tear on the rough polycarb' edges.
Disgusting, I know, but I find a wipe around the lug with a little saliva is convenient and effective..!
Good luck anyway.
Cheers,
Paul

Offline Ced

• Bike: cbf1000A
  • City / Town: Notts
« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »
Have fitted MRA and Ermax and Wiley is spot on greatest lube known to man or lady, Saliva.
Check the holes to see if you are not on a point of the slot where the hole is blocked by the fairing. I find top nipple first, bottom then sides.

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2020, 08:21:44 PM »
Hi all, I agree with art that somehow lubricating the rubber nipples to go in the holes is all well and good, but I guarantee you they would never come out again .
I spoke to Pete at HPS IN DERBYSHIRE, and heís going to speak to the actual manufacturer, but said to definitely not drill, and the hole should be the same, so Iím guessing I may just have a wrongun. Thanks for taking the time to reply, Iíll let you know what they say👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:11:14 PM »
UPDATE . MRA said that the holes are the right size and to lubricate etc. To get the cover to fit, problem here is they become pliable and NO WAY are they going in, so I drilled the holes and got the covers on to a fashion , not perfect though, disappointed with their( NO TOOLS REQUIRED) sales pitch, but the product is great quality and does an amazing job. I would buy again, I would just be prepared for fitting agrivation  next time, thanks for your input , j