Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Two up touring ... how capable is the CBF??  (Read 1147 times)

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
Two up touring ... how capable is the CBF??
« on: 30 May, 2020, 09:15:42 PM »
Hi ....  looking for some insight ...

Has anyone used the CBF for two-up touring? I'm sure it has plenty of grunt and can handle additional kgs. Is it capable ergonomically for both driver and passenger? Is it comfortable enough for two? Feedback from any passengers would be great.

Thanks!
Mike

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
Re: Two up touring ... how capable is the CBF??
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2020, 09:01:13 AM »
Hello MikeV

My wife and I use our Mk2 Cbf1000 for a 2 week tour every year, except this year possibly ! My wife says it's the most comfortable pillion seat of any bike I've owned including 3 BMW bikes. I'm 5ft 8,11 stone and my wife 5ft 3 and 10 stone and we find there's room on the seat to move around a bit on a long ride. Last summer we went to the Picos mountain's in Northern Spain through France trying to  avoid Autoroutes and I got nearly 60 to the gallon but admittedly I'm more of a cruiser than a racer. Also the engine is really flexible so it doesn't really matter what gear you're in if you need instant power to overtake.
So yes , it's very good at touring with a pillion.

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »
Exactly as Kentcolin says, except I am heavier (fatter !) but same height. Wife is 5' 6" but same weight.  Keep looking and trying different bikes but wife vetoes any change every time.
Have been using it every year for eleven years now and toured to Italy, Southern Portugal, and everywhere in between, for three weeks sometimes. Plus weeks away to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, etc. Well it will be eleven if we manage to go anywhere this year !
Has always been fine for us and we are always fully loaded luggage-wise, possibly a little overloaded at times ! !
Only tricky bits for me, when loaded up, are zero MPH steep, uphill hairpins, a la Stelvio and Pass of the Cattle.  Being of a certain age, I miss the instant drive of carburettors when you can dump half a pint of petrol through for a sudden pick-up out of difficulty.
The bike has certainly been great for us.

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2020, 02:55:09 PM »
Thanks Kent, thanks Wiley!  :031:

Greatly appreciate the insight. Some very positive feedback.

I had been looking at the FJR. It packs a bigger punch along with an extra 150lbs. A major trade off for daily commuting and 1 up riding.

Hoping to sort out a deal today on a 2009 CBF.

Thanks again.

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2020, 04:22:15 PM »
If you don't plan those hair pins they'll catch you out every time whatever you ride. I saw a couple drop their Gold Wing last summer on the Devils Staircase (Beulah to Tregaron, South Wales) too heavy, too slow, oncoming camper van, hesitation and over it went. Not a pretty sight and the lift took four of us against the camber.

Offline TerryR

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000 Red
  • City / Town: Glomel
« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2020, 06:31:06 AM »
 :0461:

My wife and I are in our 60s and have toured the CBF all over France (where we live), into Spain, Portugal and as far North as Hadrian's Wall. The limiting factor is me as I tend to get leg cramps after a few hours of sitting. We find that 500km/300m per day is a reasonable target. We have done as much as 800km/500m but I was pretty sore at the end and wouldn't have wanted to do a second day of that.

Put the weight into the paniers and tank bag. Save the top box for light stuff and somewhere to keep all the gubbins you need on the road. Properly loaded (and even overloaded), the CBF is rock-steady and will cruise all day at motorway speeds without missing a beat.

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »
Thanks Terry! Good to know.   :028:

Looks like I have a deal in place on 2009, low kms 16,000+. I have a call into my insurance company to confirm some numbers. Should wrap it up today. Update to follow.

Like to hear just how versatile this machine can be.   :152:

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2020, 06:28:59 PM »
Looking forward to Tuesday!

Put down a deposit and picking up a 2009 Red CBF1000 with 3 OEM bags!

:300: :300:

Online NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:21:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by MikeV [+]
Put down a deposit and picking up a 2009 Red CBF1000 with 3 OEM bags!

Be sure to adjust the preload on the rear shock to raise the rear end to account for all the weight you'll be putting on it so that it doesn't bottom out or cause uncomfortable riding. There's 7 different levels, and I'd say go with 5 and increase depending on personal preference. Can be done using O.E.M toolkit without bike on sidestand in seconds. Test ride best done with panniers on and under some load to simulate touring.

Remember linked brakes, can take some adjusting to.

Be sure to give the front and rear caliper a good clean, too, as the ride can quickly become hairy if one of the fronts are binding. True on any bike, sure, but on this the amount the bike can judder randomly worries me.

There's a mount you can get from a company called MIGSEL for a sat-nav that mounts in a good position, that may help you (google something like CBF1000 satnav migsel mount).

I'd fettle with it before running it for long miles. Good and smooth bike once serviced but requires some TLC to get to its best.

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:57:36 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the rear preload ... I'll check out the various settings.

No doubt there may / will be other things I'll want to tweak.

:031: