Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Newbie ... from the The Great White North .... Canadian eh!  (Read 294 times)

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
Hey there.

Had the opportunity to ride a buddy's CBF1000, 2009 edition. Sweet machine.

Currently ride a 1991 Honda VFR750. The lovely machine is 29 this year! I have owed it for the last 16. Great ride in excellent shape. I unfortunately am not!!  :001:  Need a bike with more leg room and upright ergos / riding position. The CBF seems to fit the bill.

I do have some questions, looking for user feedback. I'll post in the (hopefully) proper forums.

I have been reading as a guest for awhile. Looking forward to learning about the CBF.  Might buy one this week??

Cheers,
Mike

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Newbie ... from the The Great White North .... Canadian eh!
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2020, 09:01:57 AM »
 :405:

The CBF is a great sport tourer ticking many boxes you'll love it.

Happy Days

Online iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2020, 09:27:56 AM »
Four numbers then a heartfelt sentiment. Have owned/ridden some 19 bikes since March 1963,currently have the CBF1000A9 with 15k miles on her.The best bike I have ever owned. :152: Ed.

Online iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2020, 01:54:54 PM »
OOPS,bikes figure should read 23.Ed.

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2020, 11:34:31 PM »
Well, finally posting up on the new to me CBF1000A9 .... 16,479kms when I first climbed on.

Picked up June 9. Rode it home, 330kms. Nice first ride!

Put on 2500kms since getting it and am quite pleased. Did a couple two up rides with my son. Great as a two-up machine.

My further summation ....
So far I love it. Upright ergos, good leg room, comfortable riding position. Wider bars than my VFR, I like that.

It came with 3 OEM bags. Topbox is great for passenger. When riding solo, I remove the topbox, the bike looks way nicer.

The engine is buzzy, certainly not as smooth as the V4 of the VFR. Far more grunt though. Rubber bushings for handle bar mounts and seat would be an improvement.

Handling ... VERY nice. High speed stability is excellent. Cornering is confidence inspiring, point and shoot, rails nicely. Slow speed maneuvers are effortless, very well mannered, clutch is very light. U-turns and figure 8s are a breeze.

Wind protection... haven't adjusted the wind screen to try different settings. I have been pleased with the current height.

Suspension ... Rear, haven't messed with preload, yet. So far so good. Front, a little soft. Might upgrade later.

Mileage ... last tank was 5.6l/100kms. One before was 5.3l/100kms. Mostly suburban twisties and highway, somewhat "spirited" ... so to speak. :):)

Love it so far!

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2020, 09:07:59 AM »
I told you so

You'll be surprised how a front fork service can rejuvenate those front forks. When I got my CBF it was 8 years old with 12,000 miles on the clock. First things first I replaced the engine oil & filter then run it for 4,000 miles to see what was what before carrying out the big 16,000 mile service including a front fork oil change. The springs were within specification and the oil level was about right but the condition of the oil was rank, I refilled the forks  with a 15W fork oil and they've been fine since. It's an easy enough job for the home mechanic once you've worked out how you're going to support the front end.

Fuel economy can be a good indicator of the engine condition and state of tune, 5.3 to 5.6 l/100kms is bang on for the SC58, we call that +50 mpg here in the UK, not to be confused with the +40 mpg of the lesser US gallon.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2020, 06:14:59 PM »
And if the rear suspension feels anything like soft or too much sag; wind it up in the first instance.
Then wind it up one more.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009
  • City / Town: Mississauga
« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2020, 04:05:13 PM »
Hey Mike where are you in Canada.?
Just completed a 4k km run in Ontario to Pickle Lake ( don't ask ) on a 2008

My first CBF1000 was very pretty but sucked for mileage....this one does significantly better for reasons unknown.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000