Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ECT sensor  (Read 786 times)

Offline Tumaca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000f
Re: ECT sensor
« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
But if *any* of the other things that cause the fan not to cool sufficiently (or even run at all) are present/faulty then the exact same scenario exists even if the ECT sensor is correct.

Fan control relay and its holder and associated wiring input and output,
Fan fuse A and its wiring - NB. This doesn't seem to feed anything else (a dicky fuse?)
Fan supply itself
The coolant and flow,
ECT feed to ECU wiring,
The ECU itself (well more likely P13 on the grey plug, P31 on the black plug or the intermediate connector 12P black).

So you'll need to know what is the state of play when you have the fault.
Is the fan relay being operated (or intended to be) when overheating (lamp on)
The water temperature - may temporarily fit one of those thermometer leads in the upper hose ?

Is the fault (now) a hard fault ?   i.e. if you used it today will it show overheat soon enough.

Well, all that things is supposed were checked by the dealership. Honda said everything is ok except the ECT.

Q: Is the fan relay being operated (or intended to be) when overheating (lamp on)
A: No

Q: The water temperature - may temporarily fit one of those thermometer leads in the upper hose ?
A: No but I can use the OBD Tool to check or record a timelapse. For example, from home to work.

Q: Is the fault (now) a hard fault ?   i.e. if you used it today will it show overheat soon enough.
A: The first time the fan usually kicks in. The second and next, maybe yes or maybe not.
« Last Edit: 02 June, 2020, 12:59:37 PM by Tumaca »

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2020, 10:38:49 PM »
My faulting technique is down to having to resolve faults myself (without more extensive available parts to swop about too).

If there is some dealer warranty here (i.e. on the repair) you could keep returning it.
- it may take them some time.

If you are sure it is the ECT then I'd suggest digging out the part codes for the genuine article and attempt to determine if they've been fitting the correct part (should there be variants on the theme).

Like mentioned just above, have you proved the fan relay is not being called for (as opposed to not operating the fan) - maybe a lamp/led across the 12v operating coil will help.

After you've removed all the possible candidates you're into the realms of what can't be.
They'll include;
another duff ECT (surely not),
something breaking the ECT (severe overheat - lack of coolant etc.),
an ECU that decides one fan operation per day is enough.

How old is the bike, has it had a hard life or a mishap ?
Many other electrical gremlins can often be put down to corroded connectors/earths, damaged looms (usually headstock) or other bodging (in the past), oh and the famous alarm installation mods.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
An extra thought (if you fancy getting involved yourself); the wiring on these Hondas is particularly tight in places.  You might be able to check that there isn't a connector concerned being pulled physically that might break a connection (in the ECT to ECU path and ECU to fan relay path).
I think you may need the rhs panel off and maybe the airbox tuning reservoir to see the wiring behind it.

Do me a favour, swap your fuse A with another to eliminate a simple semi-fractured fuse being an issue.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Tumaca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000f
« Reply #13 on: 11 June, 2020, 12:28:15 PM »
The bike is from 2014 (it must be one of the latest selled on Europe) and has had a wonderful life (i think better than mine): one proprietary (me), services at their time, no city, washed by hand, always in garage... I always try to be very carefull with my bikes.

I am not sure it is the ECT sensor, is Honda who is sure it is. Right now, the bike is in dealership for three weeks and seems it will be longer.

No alarm installation (is this bike stolen?? In Spain must be three or four on the street, is a very rare bike with no interest for thiefs).
Wirings were checked (ECT -> ECU -> relay -> fan)= correct tension in every point.
Connectors were checked (no corrosion)

The thing is turning to ECU (the dealership is trying to get one form Honda to test), but that means the 50% of the bike value and I will not repair it if definitely is the ECU. Will be time to move to another brand and never buy another Honda.

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #14 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:12:18 PM »
not ideal but i think it would be possible to
fit a switch to manually operate the fan if it
did not cut in when it should

Malc

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
H,Malc. How would the rider know when to operate the Fan? Not an ideal solution as I feel it is best that we concentrate on the road rather than the dash when we are riding.A proper fix is the only real answer. Possibly a temporary fan on indicator would be helpful but again  could be a distraction.Ed. :027:

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #16 on: 12 June, 2020, 12:50:00 PM »
Hi Ed
i know  a switch is not ideal but it is a get out of trouble
card if the over heat warning light comes on in slow moving
or stationary traffic. Obviously a cure is best but a back up
till one is found is not a bad idea.

Malc