Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oxford heated grips  (Read 284 times)

Offline Sean o caoimh

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
  • City / Town: Cork
Oxford heated grips
« on: 25 May, 2020, 08:55:07 PM »
Hi all,
         Just found out the left hand heated grip dosent work.
        Any advice about using a multimeter to check out what's gone wrong. How to check the actual grip itself ?, ( I
opened the left connector  and it has continuity across the connector on the grip side! .  Power comes direct from the battery with a 10amp fuse. Power comes as far as the control unit then splits to left and right  grips . How do I proceed from here ?
                                 Thanks Johnny

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Re: Oxford heated grips
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2020, 11:49:07 PM »
Quick google suggest the heat control itself can often be the cause. The screws at the back are removable, and inside you're looking for moisture or rusty connections:

As for testing the grip you could buy a Sealey power probe (https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637193588/auto-probe-6-24v) and testing it via the connector, but that's money down the drain if you don't have on already (best purchased for cheaper from Amazon, FFX etc)... +

Visually check for damage in the wire etc.

If heat is getting to the right hand side perfectly fine then, to me, it must be the wiring between the controller and left hand side (again could be inside controller or a break in the wire).

You could use the multi-meter to check that the battery voltage isn't being effected by the grips being turned on causing a drain, and thus rendering them not able to be fully powered, by simply measuring voltage on the battery (engine off, engine running without grips, engine running with grips at 100%, engine being held at a few thousound RPM).

Try a different fuse, perhaps, also?
« Last Edit: 28 May, 2020, 12:06:30 AM by NJD »

Offline Sean o caoimh

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
  • City / Town: Cork
Re: Oxford heated grips
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2020, 10:01:57 AM »
Thanks NJD 
   I've looked at the back of the controller but there aren't any small screws to remove. I will check to see if it's a push /snap on fit. Just trying to find out how to do a voltage drop test on the left grip, without separating the left connector and with the grips turned on.