Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: rear piston popped out  (Read 809 times)

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: rear piston popped out
« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2020, 05:07:50 PM »
Because, at the moment, the errant air is only in the chamber behind that piston or at worse in that caliper.  Keep it there and bled it off.  It'll be best if you can go back to the piston and push and hold it home (wedged) whilst trying to remove the rest of any air left.

The front pot will only come into play when you put quite a lot of pressure on the rear lever - as you see if you bleed the front too (after everything else!!).

Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2020, 08:27:07 PM »
You need brake fluid to top it up while bleeding and its not a shelf item so grab 250 ml of DOT4 and bleed it all round. The sequence is

Front brake reservoir - front right upper, front left upper
Rear brake reservoir - front right centre, rear lower, rear upper

Offline marky99925

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: limerick
« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »
Hi Guys
Thanks to all for the help and the nerve calming, sorted it out for no more than 500ml of brake fluid, just back from road test and rinsing off the spills, rear is as good as it ever was.
All the advice was spot on, brake bleeding has always been a bit of a black art to me, but then i've never had to do it much.
Another cack handed mistake sorted at minimal cost thanks to you guys. (And my lovely girlfriend for tirelessly pumping the brake pedal).
Also good excuse for a quick blast.

Don't go anywhere, i might fit a turbo tomorrow......

Marky