Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Oil & Filter Change - DIY Article  (Read 1780 times)

Offline badapple

• CBF Legend
Re: Engine Oil & Filter Change - DIY Article
« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
Of course there are differences in these things but they are determined by the specification of the oil not whether its got a picture of bike or a car on the label. The oil Im using is API SL rated and 5W-40 so it meets the requirements of my wife's car, and it more than meets the spec for the bike. It is also API CF rated and meets VW 502 and 505 long-life spec so is good for my VW turbo diesel car as well.

I always like to see the API CF rating ( C for commercial ) as to get this the oil needs to have a high quality base oil and a top notch additive pack with plenty of detergents and anti sludge ingredients.

Offline carl

• CBF Member
« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »
Definitively agree 3.0-3.1 litres of oil for an oil change with filter.

Offline glenod

• CBF Pro
« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
Well - I'd just like to say thanks for thr trouble of putting up this DIY explanation. It's good just to have a little reassurance that we're not doing anything stupid!

Thanks!

Offline Blackhand71

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 ABS
  • City / Town: Zl
« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
Yes, 3,0 liters. No more. I did exchange of oil and filter yesterday. I bought 4 liters of Castrol Power 1 Racing 10W-50. Never mind, i keep 1 liter for next time.

Offline The Doctor

• CBF Pro
« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Hi Badapple,

For the diesel and petrol cars, I would agree to use the same oil (provided the diesl has no particulate filter which requires a low SAPS oil)

For the bike, would recommend specific oil because of the clutch is running in the same oil here. The main function of oil is to lubricate .... now if you start to lubricate your clutch you would be entering a world of pain. Car will have separated gearbox and engine oil and can do with "low-tech" oil.
The bike will need some special additives to prevent the clutch from slipping.

If you change every 5000kms, a semi-synth multigrade oil (10W-40) would do nicely.

I always change filter and oil at the same time to make sure to flush all used oil from the system .....

Offline marky99925

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: limerick
« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:06:05 PM »
yes mine is def 3.0 litre for oil and filter change, mk1 2006

diverse-leafy