Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Threadlock use on swingarm reinstall?  (Read 321 times)

Offline timbig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Derby
Threadlock use on swingarm reinstall?
« on: 15 May, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
Morning

Have taken swingarm out to repaint.

Should threadlock be used when putting it all back together?

as far as i can see it does not suggest it in the manual, also couldn't find anything to suggest use of threadlock and swingarm on forum search.

so, yay or nay?

Thanks

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Threadlock use on swingarm reinstall?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »
IMO nay. Just torque wrench were required.  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:09:32 PM »
A loud and definitive NO from here. Just been there and done that and the only bolts requiring threadlock (Loctite 243 is my weapon of choice here) are the gear shift cam bolt and the side stand switch bolt. Everything else is dry torqued to specification, clean the threads and torque the nuts not the bolts. You may need an assistant when it comes to the two pivot bracket nuts and the swingarm pivot nut. Make a note of the bolts and torque settings and check them after a couple of hundred miles. If you're really that anxious you could paint mark the nuts against the bolt threads which is how it left the factory and allows for a visual inspection which is mostly what is done on the service item 'inspect nuts, bolts and fasteners'.

« Last Edit: 15 May, 2020, 12:36:14 PM by Art »

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2020, 06:30:09 PM »
I always use red threadlock on every nut & bolt I can find, as the goldfish I keep in the fuel tank like the colour red.  :028: