Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: chain adjuster positioning  (Read 1808 times)

Offline marky99925

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: limerick
chain adjuster positioning
« on: 10 May, 2020, 08:13:24 PM »
Hi All
Just had new chain and sprockets fitted by honda dealer and noticed there is a gap between the back of the chain adjuster block and the rear of the slot in the swingarm, see link: https://ibb.co/k8H1c43.
Does this look properly reassembled? ive assumed the gap is because the wheel is now further forward due to the new chain but it looks wrong, also won't the swingarm fill up with water etc in the gap? typical that now ive noticed, the dealer is closed due to the virus. None of the pics i could find online show a gap but maybe they have older chains and the wheel is further back. Is there only one way the chain adjusters fit?
The wheel alignment is fine and so is the chain tension and no problems with the ride.
Wanted to run it by you guys before i rehearse my shouting the odds speech for when they reopen.
Never had a problem with the dealer in 5 years.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 10 May, 2020, 08:15:40 PM by marky99925 »

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: chain adjuster positioning
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »
The spindle, chain adjuster do look as though they are further forward than maybe they should be.
Is it the chain is shorter than standard? Different size sprockets fitted?

Check number of links in chain, and number of teeth on sprockets and compare to standard.

The spindle on my bike is in the centre of the slot in the swing arm, standard oem chain and sprockets that have not been changed from new.
« Last Edit: 10 May, 2020, 09:19:54 PM by FLIZ »

Offline marky99925

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2020, 09:41:41 PM »
thanks Fliz will do, there's no difference in acceleration etc but i guess there wouldnt be unless the gearing was changed via different sprocket ratios, will count the links

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:21:58 PM »
Hi Marky,
Had exact same problem with a Honda dealer a few years ago and was assured by a self proclaimed Honda "Master Technician" that it was perfectly fine !
I counted the links and there were only 118 instead of the specified 120.  On pointing this out he informed me that the mechanic who carried out the work was doing me a favour by shortening the chain because it would now last longer as it had more room to stretch further before it reached the "replace" indicator mark.  :005: :192:
Anyway, I demanded a second opinion or I would send a picture to Honda Central for their advice.  They suggested I should let them do that and they would get back to me as soon as, etc, etc.  May take some time of course. So he took a picture and I rode home, about twenty minutes away, still somewhat p#ss$d off.
Just about had time take my crash hat off and put the kettle on back home when the phone rang (guess who) and was politely requested to return the bike for immediate remedy ! ! !
Got it sorted next day but lost what little trust I had in them so never returned.
At the very least they owe you for two missing links.
Hammer the incompetent morons.
Good luck an best regards,
Paul.

Offline marky99925

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2020, 05:45:43 PM »
thanks wiley, amazing that someone had the same problem, it's the perfect response, ive counted the links about 6 times today and guess what..118
 so did you ever find out if they took the missing link out? or was it just a shorter chain fitted that was meant for another model?
i feel a 'frank exchange of views' coming on when they reopen

Thanks again

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »
Never did get a proper explanation.  Another mechanic assured me afterwards that they had fitted a completely new chain and not merely added two more links.

Only idea I had was that as a Honda Main Dealer fitting (Hopefully) genuine Honda parts that maybe they bought Honda chain in bulk, by the Lin. metre as it were, and measured it out as they saw fit.  Obviously they were too "experienced" to have to consult workshop manuals, etc. and just pulled the minimum amount off the roll as required. ?  Or, they used a chain packaged for another model that was too long (bigger sprockets, longer swing arm ?) and shortened it accordingly.

Anyway,  it performed OK and lasted as long as I expected it too.  I replaced it with D.I.D. chain and sprocket set when the time came which was cheaper than genuine Honda stuff and looks as though it will last longer !

Good luck with it all, I'm sure with a little polite "assertiveness" they will see the error of their ways and you'll be back in action.

Once we're released from house arrest hope to get over to the Republic again soon.  Have been down the West coast a few times but never made the Limerick area so may give you shout for advice.

Stay safe, best regards,

Paul.

Offline marky99925

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2020, 07:15:32 PM »
cheers again Paul
Just emailed the sods as the website says they are open for 'emergency repairs and parts pickup, they better be !
Over 5 years ive probably spent 2 grand on servicing and gear, bloody hell it mounts up ! I keep every receipt for years, totally OCD but came in handy this time !

I spent the weekend racking my brains trying work out what i had cocked up with the adjusters but counting the links made the penny drop and your experience proved it.
What really hurts is they have had the bike in a few times since they changed the c & s, for tyres etc and never said a word.
Will let you know.
If you can get down to the ring of Kerry and west cork it's pretty magnificent, let me know, if you get stuck we'll clear my old fairing panels out of the spare room and you can break up the journey, email is rowlandsmark5@gmail.com.
Just when you thought you had seen it all........

Cheers

Mark

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2020, 07:42:58 PM »
Sounds like you have Honda Dealer induced O.C.D. as well, thought it may just be me but they do know how to charge so you have to keep an eye on them.

Love the Ring of Kerry especially the bit on the end, the Skelligs, where the coaches and motor homes aren't allowed and the Beara of course, happy days.

Good luck again, nighty night.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2020, 09:43:01 PM »
My experience of most Honda dealers has led myself and most of the people I know to service our bikes ourselves, this tale and many others like it, set us on the self-service route, I like many others discovered that the name Honda nowadays doesn't mean good or trustworthy work is guaranteed, I know not every dealer is the same, but we have little trust in most dealers and the good ones are definitely in the minority.
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 19 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2020, 11:31:18 PM »
True words of wisdom.

Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.