Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Passing light switch short  (Read 973 times)

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Passing light switch short
« on: 04 May, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
Hello, I recently bought an ex police CBF 1000, while they had disconnected a lot of the extra wiring (but not removed it) whenever I pull the passing light switch it shorts both the headlights. The normal high beam switch is working fine. Could it be wired in the wrong way and it's grounding the lot?

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Passing light switch short
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:20:40 PM »
 :405:

Nightmare, your best friends here will be a digital multimeter, patience and a circuit diagram.

For CBF1000 headlamp circuit wiring diagram clickity click here

Ex-Police vehicles are cheap (and IMHO should be avoided) and for good reasons. I'm reminded of a friend who once asked me to come along and check over an ex-Police mo'cycle for him, I declined and told him I'd only advise him against the purchase. He asked me to give him three good reasons why not to purchase an ex-Police mo'cycle. I gave him
  • Poorly maintained
  • Trashed into the ground
  • Cannibalised for spare parts before being sold on
He went ahead with the purchase and proved me right on all three counts and then some. Sorry if that is not helping but there's food for thought in there and you may want to move it on or break it for the sum of its serviceable parts before it turns into a money pit.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2020, 10:35:02 PM »
Agree. Ex Pol bikes (and cars) are a nightmare.
- I didn't even know they used any cbf1000's, but everyday is a school day.

When you say 'short', do you mean earths (to ground/0v) and thus taking out the fuse PQD ?

Does the 'main' switch work without issues ? (bring up the main beam bulb and leave the dipped on)

If so, they've really done one because they must have been into the switch contact terminals themselves - no mean feat (but possibly 'undoable').

They used to use the pass switch for radio PTT in years (decades) gone by.  This often required an earth switching signal so you could find a now errant earth added there (to be easily removed).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2020, 04:37:41 PM »
I've had a look at this now, and a bit of background as to why it might be like it is.

It's simple enough when you untangle everything, the low beam is running through the hi beam relay so when I pull the switch the relay is opening and turning off the low beam. Will be a case of swapping over the hi low beam wires so the high beam runs through the relay.

It was wired like that because they have alternate headlights flashing when the sirens go on so need a way of turning the low beam off. Bit of a faff.

It was west Mids police.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2020, 05:50:43 PM »
That's not how mine is wired !
Have a look at the wiring diagram.

Is everything else okay - questions above ?
Have you been blowing fuses ?  (short)

Mine has the low beam (dipped) permanently on and both the main switch and pass switch (same circuit, same job) brings in the high beam (full) relay (aka headlamp relay) from the low beam supply. One click later and the main beam has power (and light).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2020, 07:14:55 PM »
There is more to it than that. The stock HL relay is a NO relay its already open! Wouldn't a flashing main beam be illegal?

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2020, 04:12:36 PM »
I'd have to look very closely, and also check out a mkI plan for the same, but my write up is my current (excuse me) thought/knowledge.

Flashing mains (as in 'pass') illegal, no; that's the norm.  Its what all my bikes and cars have done.

Off to do my double-checking homework, I may be some time ...

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2020, 04:57:10 PM »
Oh no John, no John, no john, no (excuse my singing) spinspin is suggesting the main beam headlamp was wired in with the sirens so that both headlamps (main and dip) flash when the sirens are switched on. This would mean the main beam headlamp is permanently flashing while the sirens are on, that is most definitely illegal.

spinspin by name and I think he's pulling our chain. Sure Police vehicles with two dipped beam headlamps would have their dipped beams wired to flash with the siren but not the main beams, oh no.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
I think I missed a whoosh somewhere (right over my head).

Now I've finished my homework now, so I'll leave this here (if it is of any use at all); this how it should be (sans sirens and strobey things).

Going to play with my crayons outside now as it is still sunny.

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »
Thanks for that, i've managed to get in to a position where the passing switch is disconnected but everything else is working as it should, where possible i've peeled back the shrouding and checked everything is the original wiring as well. No problems with the rest of the bike. I may order in some connectors and wires as the sidelights were also attached to the high beam relay for some reason and i think it may get to the point i go all out and rewire the headlight assembly from the frame connector forward.