Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear selector output shaft play  (Read 309 times)

Offline Biffmk1

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: LEEDS
Gear selector output shaft play
« on: 30 April, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »
 :431: second post of the day.
 Can someone or a few check something when they can please. The gear selector output shaft, the one that goes into the engine. Could you guys see if there is any play on it, mine has a couple mil play and not sure if it's normal.
Basically been looking due to having the occasional issue selecting second and with it being the longest stroke to select I figure that couple mil may go a long way.
 There is a needle bearing within the case/cover and I know the tolerances aren't great on needle bearings but I've got nothing to go off what's 'normal' and what isn't.
As always your help would be greatly appreciated  :037:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Gear selector output shaft play
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »
Are the rod ball joints properly greased (I use a syringe to get in) and most importantly is the gear lever pivot clean and greased ?   (First things first.)
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Biffmk1

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
Are the rod ball joints properly greased (I use a syringe to get in) and most importantly is the gear lever pivot clean and greased ?   (First things first.)

All the linkages are fine but has play on that shaft. I didn't point out that its side to side movement, not in and out.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »
Hi,BiffMK1.On my '09 @ 17000 miles I have around 0.25-0.5 of a mil.Your 2.0 mil :028: does sound a bit excessive but I don't know the mileage on your bike of course.Good luck with it.Ed.

Offline Biffmk1

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2020, 05:54:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Hi,BiffMK1.On my '09 @ 17000 miles I have around 0.25-0.5 of a mil.Your 2.0 mil :028: does sound a bit excessive but I don't know the mileage on your bike of course.Good luck with it.Ed.

Mines an 06 with about 30k on it. I'm going to order the bits today and just do it, got some other bits to do anyways. Just didn't know if it was "normal". It doesn't seem it to me so will just do it. I think its ridiculous that a tiny needle bearing is £30, seal is only £5 though.
Thank you Ed, much appreciated  :028:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2020, 06:54:31 PM »
Might want to check out how that failed needle bearing should normally have been lubricated & ensure this is correctly  in place & working for the new item.Ed.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2020, 09:38:36 PM »
Less than 0.5mm on mine side to side. 25000 miles. Have a look at this old post, similar problem
. https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?topic=8716.0

Pete.

Offline Biffmk1

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2020, 12:17:31 AM »
Thanks Ed, I will look into what's best to use, may have something in the manual and make it a regular checked item.

Pete, that sounds just like the issue I am having, I am back on it tomorrow. I'll pop the cap off and check the shaft also, maybe this is an issue aswell. I just happy it's not me being a bit sh*t with the gear change. Although it could be a possibility also  :mfrlol:
Thanks guys

Offline Biffmk1

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:13:59 PM »
Hi guys,
Finally done the job inbetween home schooling and waiting for parts.
Stripped it down to change the bearing and seal, found the shaft was shagged as well so replaced that also. I'll try attach images.
To get to it:
Remove gear linkages. (I fully removed to clean and grease up.
Remove clutch slave cylinder, 3 bolts. (I fit new gasket, you could use RTV)
Pull out clutch push rod.
Remove 2 bolts for front sprocket cover.
Remove 4 bolts in the gear selector box.
All the access you need to get to the parts for inspection if you have any issues. Apparently because they're so open CBF's are susceptible to this fault. (Info from dealer). I fit it back together with the blue anti corrosion grease and will check it next service as it's easy enough to do.
Thank you guys for the info.

diverse-leafy