Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan  (Read 880 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Vlady

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: United Kingdom
Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« on: 28 April, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
Hi everyone,
I hope you all have fun cleaning your bikes and wishing this quarantine thing is over so we can go for a good ride!
Guys/girls, I have a problem and hope someone can advise me - the bracket that holds radiator fan is rusted away (it was holding on 1 bolt only out of 3!), I have ordered an assembly (fan + bracket) from USA a month ago and still have not received it yet and no one knows when I will! Therefore, I am exploring other options, there is one on ebay, used for £30 but no guarantee from seller it works and it looks a bit knackered/rusty.
Does any one know if there are other options? may be I can buy assembly from another bike manufacture and fit it to my CBF? it must be a common issue.
Thanks
Vlad

Offline Art

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 965
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
  • Country: England
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2020, 05:46:42 PM »
Is it the bracket that has rusted away, that is a lot of bracket to rust away.

If the fan and bracket on ebay is being sold as parts it must work, if the seller hasn't listed any defects it must be fit for purpose, those are the ebay rules. I wouldn't worry about it looking a little rusty, all SC58 (MKI) fan and bracket units will look like rusty, they are 10+ years old now. I'd  buy it and if it is that rough or the fan doesn't work return it for a full refund or ask for a part refund and just use the bracket with your original fan motor. Obviously give it a good wire brushing and a couple coats of Hammerite before fitting.

Offline andycbf

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 604
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000 ABS
  • Country: N West London
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2020, 09:54:45 PM »
Hi,

Not posted for ages or ridden my bike for a couple of months !

My bike has been the same for a few years and the top mounting point looks OK.

Looks like a bit of a job to replace the bracket.

Will maybe look into a way into supporting the bracket just in case the top mount fails.

Regards

Andy

Offline Vlady

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:54:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Is it the bracket that has rusted away, that is a lot of bracket to rust away.

If the fan and bracket on ebay is being sold as parts it must work, if the seller hasn't listed any defects it must be fit for purpose, those are the ebay rules. I wouldn't worry about it looking a little rusty, all SC58 (MKI) fan and bracket units will look like rusty, they are 10+ years old now. I'd  buy it and if it is that rough or the fan doesn't work return it for a full refund or ask for a part refund and just use the bracket with your original fan motor. Obviously give it a good wire brushing and a couple coats of Hammerite before fitting.
Hi Art, thanks for a reply, I might do that (buy of ebay used), I am an Amazon man and almost never use ebay. Its a shame, feels like I wasted 1 months waiting for a delivery from States.
I couldn't remove the bracket from the fun, some nuts are fused to the bolts, no matter how much WD40 you apply to them, they still do not come off.
Did you see the price for new parts? It would be more that 600euros to get that assembly (fan, fan motor and bracket) to get new!!!

Offline Vlady

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:58:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by andycbf [+]
Hi,

Not posted for ages or ridden my bike for a couple of months !

My bike has been the same for a few years and the top mounting point looks OK.

Looks like a bit of a job to replace the bracket.

Will maybe look into a way into supporting the bracket just in case the top mount fails.

Regards

Andy
Hi Andy, I have not posted for a while as well, I think it is human nature if everything is ok you don check for a possible issues until you have them! :(
My bracket same as your - was holding at the top mounting only,, the one to the left was barely attached to the frame and the one to the right not existent due to corrosion! I was hoping to get the bracket only (even if it a new one) but it seems quite hard to disassembly the bracket from the motor!
I really do not get why not make that bracket of stainless even if it just a 304St!

Offline Art

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 965
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
  • Country: England
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2020, 09:37:57 AM »
Yes I saw the £500 asking price, I wonder if they actually sell any?

The nuts are fitted using a high strength threadlock, the bond is strong and can be impossible to dismantle using standard hand tools. The good news here is the threadlock can also insulate the nut and stud from corrosion welding. When I dismantled mine I applied heat with a soldering iron, touch each flat of the nut with the tip of the soldering iron for 30 seconds or more and keep going around and testing if the nut will breakaway from the stud. Don't expect the nut to breakaway 'just like that' it will still require some effort, use a good fitting combination spanner which I find is easier to keep under control and on the flats of the nut. You are then less likely to round the nut than you would in using an open end spanner or 12 point socket which should never be used on stubborn fasteners.

This may be another option, never tried just an idea

9 inch 12v Universal Electric Radiator Cooling Fan Push Pull Kit Straight Blades

At less than £13.00 it must be worth a punt. Note the fan cage attaches to the radiator by means of plastic ties that are passed through the radiator fins. The wiring would need to be spliced onto the original fan wiring to connect to the loom connector, if doing this allow a little extra length to the wiring for easier routing and connection to the loom.

With two detached stays clearly something needs doing before the s**t hits the fan hits the radiator as has happened here.

Offline Vlady

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2020, 10:13:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Yes I saw the £500 asking price, I wonder if they actually sell any?

The nuts are fitted using a high strength threadlock, the bond is strong and can be impossible to dismantle using standard hand tools. The good news here is the threadlock can also insulate the nut and stud from corrosion welding. When I dismantled mine I applied heat with a soldering iron, touch each flat of the nut with the tip of the soldering iron for 30 seconds or more and keep going around and testing if the nut will breakaway from the stud. Don't expect the nut to breakaway 'just like that' it will still require some effort, use a good fitting combination spanner which I find is easier to keep under control and on the flats of the nut. You are then less likely to round the nut than you would in using an open end spanner or 12 point socket which should never be used on stubborn fasteners.

This may be another option, never tried just an idea

9 inch 12v Universal Electric Radiator Cooling Fan Push Pull Kit Straight Blades

At less than £13.00 it must be worth a punt. Note the fan cage attaches to the radiator by means of plastic ties that are passed through the radiator fins. The wiring would need to be spliced onto the original fan wiring to connect to the loom connector, if doing this allow a little extra length to the wiring for easier routing and connection to the loom.

With two detached stays clearly something needs doing before the s**t hits the fan hits the radiator as has happened here.
Thanks @Art, I will try soldering iron if I need to, the nuts are already rounded off unfortunately, they were very very rusty and no matter how much I tried cleaneing them the rust still there. 2off nuts I had no problems with but 1 nut is a bugger!

Offline Vlady

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2020, 10:29:33 AM »
Tried the heat, no success, thinking of grinding off that bolt! Grrr!

Offline Vlady

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »
Grinder worked a magic! The bracket is off!  :001:

Offline Art

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 965
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
  • Country: England
Re: Honda CBF1000 A7 ABS 2007 - Radiator fan
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
That has some corrosion right there.

Happy days, halfway there

 


diverse-leafy