Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fault reader  (Read 340 times)

Offline Sean o caoimh

• Bike: Tiger 800
  • City / Town: Cork
Fault reader
« on: 26 April, 2020, 08:16:52 AM »
Hi all, just about to buy a cbf1000  09 , I want to do my own service on the bike and am wondering can I buy an  ECU reader for this model,
                             Thanks

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Fault reader
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »

Offline Sean o caoimh

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2020, 11:33:24 AM »
Thanks for your reply, what about balancing the throttle bodies ? As its fuel injection.

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
What about balancing the throttle bodies? I don't know that you can. Obviously the throttle bodies can be synchronised because they get done at some point during assembly. How the home mechanic or even a fully equipped Honda dealership workshop would tackle the task is beyond me.

I wouldn't worry about it on a CBF, if there are no symptoms why look for a cure?
« Last Edit: 26 April, 2020, 01:54:22 PM by Art »

Offline Sean o caoimh

« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2020, 02:08:46 PM »
It's just the fact that with the last bike I used Dealertool to bleed the brakes, run a faults check re set the service reminder etc. This made home service very easy. I was hoping i could do the same on the Honda. Dealertool is only for Triumph  and  Ducati  as far as i know. Thought there might be a Honda equivalent of Triumph  dealertool. ??

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2020, 03:16:33 PM »
Not familiar with Dealer Tool but I have used the similar TuneECU to re-map Triumphs but you wouldn't be able to to synchronise the throttle bodies with it, for that you would need a set of calibrated vacuum gauges.

How did you use Dealer Tool to bleed the brakes?

The CBF doesn't have a service reminder to re-set and you can check for any stored DTC's with a SCS jumper as per my previous posts. If you want to re-map to get what little better performance you can from the likes of after market exhausts or air filters you could go the Power Commander route but you will still be short of being able to synchronise the throttle bodies with it and you'd be £1,000.00 hard earned short in the back pocket to boot.

Good servicing is about adhering to a good service schedule and the Honda recommended service schedule is about as good as it gets for the CBF and a multimeter is the nearest tool to anything techy you need.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »
Generally speaking, the CBF1000 has taken the benefits of modern automotive vehicles and ignored the more complicated things.

So whilst you've got ABS and fuel injection, it doesn't have computer driven software to diagnose faults and so forth. There is an engine management system which sorts the fuel injection/ignition/etc side of things, but really that's just a phrase to cover the individual items. So as long as you can change oil and filters, are capable of safely sorting brakes and taking wheels on and off to get tyres changed (and you could always leave that to the garage) you should get along famously. Valve clearances are probably the most complicated thing about routine maintenance which should be checked every 2 years (unless you do lots of miles).

You should find links to the Honda service manuals on here and Haynes do a book (for the Mk1 I know, which yours is, not sure about the Mk2).

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2020, 07:56:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
What about balancing the throttle bodies? I don't know that you can. Obviously the throttle bodies can be synchronised because they get done at some point during assembly. How the home mechanic or even a fully equipped Honda dealership workshop would tackle the task is beyond me.

I wouldn't worry about it on a CBF, if there are no symptoms why look for a cure?

That’s a question I did some research on before and it’s a very valid one. There are some videos on YouTube of other bikes having throttle bodies balanced and I was led to believe it is possible with the CBF 1000. You need a special tool that has an adapter which screws into each of the four throttle bodies very similar to a carburettor balancer. I think it was an FJ1300 video I might have seen before with a similar process. Does it need doing? Maybe not but it seems to make a difference in the smoothness of running on those bikes that have been done. You could try looking on the Healtech website as I believe they make such a device to balance the throttle bodies. Will it fit a CBF? I’m not sure but, as I have the side panels off and the tank up right now, I will have a good look at the throttle bodies when I’m in there next.
I’m currently looking for an alternative to the ridiculously priced spark plug caps and leads (I may have a solution too) so whilst I’m at it I shall gaze and ponder some more at the TB’s for a suitable adjustment screw and adapter port.
« Last Edit: 26 April, 2020, 07:58:09 PM by Scootyman »

Offline Sean o caoimh

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2020, 08:03:39 PM »
Art ,
        With dealertool you just plug in the diagnostic cable to read the bikes  ECU. Then scroll through the menu to brake bleeding,  the tool flushes the ABS solenoid as well as the brake lines. Tune ECU hasn't got this facility.

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2020, 01:00:16 AM »
@Scootyman I just watched the FJR1300 and some other YouTube videos on balancing throttle bodies on fuel injected systems and they don't appear to me to be doing a proper job. What they are doing is balancing the throttle bodies at idle, if watch the vacuum gauges as they snap the throttle you'll see as the RPM's rise the balance is all over the place. I think it is for this reason Honda advises to leave the factory set throttle bodies as they are. I'm thinking what will happen here if you alter the balance at idle you will create an imbalance further up the RPM range.

@Sean o caoimh The DealerTool does not bleed the brake lines or calipers, all the DealerTool does is to allow you to instruct the ABS Modulator to purge itself while you are bleeding the brakes. Purging the ABS Modulator during brake bleeding is only necessary with some ABS braking systems not all. With the CBF's ABS braking system it is not necessary for the ABS Modulator to purge itself during bleeding. The Honda service schedule for the CBF recommends inspecting the brake fluid every 4,000 miles (6,000 Km). To do this properly you should draw some fluid off at the calipers by bleeding the system, this way it allows you to inspect the condition of the brake fluid at the business end, the caliper. It also has the added advantage that overtime the ABS Modulator gets purged during normal use.

If you haven't already you can download the SC58 (MKI) workshop manual from here or from here. Have a read through section 4 Maintenance and you'll see how simple the CBF1000A-9 is to service for the home mechanic.