Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Performance Problem  (Read 765 times)

Offline motorhead13

• Bike: 2006 CBF1000
Re: Performance Problem
« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2020, 11:50:22 AM »
The bike is under warranty but that runs out soon. I contacted the dealer about this and they said I they can look at it or I can get it done near me and they charge the warranty, the problem is that the place I go near me is still shut.

So I'm going to contact the dealer and see what they say about doing it though they may be reluctant and they are so far away (and possibly still closed), and also do I want to send it back to a place that probably sold me a bike with a fault??

I've read the previous posts about this (thanks for the links) and it seems replacements can be a bit hit and miss. Do you think it would be better trying to get a used original part or a new one? ALso does it need setting up or adjusting in anyway? I've seen in posts I need one with a position pointing to 10 o'clock though can look at mine before buying anything. I still need to have a look at mine, it also said in previous posts about a method of checking the voltage on the TPS, which seems worth doing on mine before I look at a replacement?

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:12:40 AM »
I'd refer to reply #9.

If it is the TPS it can be costly and hard to source the original part and take some setting up.  You shouldn't have the hassle.  Name the dealer.  Even a puka one (or was it?) fitted by a dealer took a return attempt.

Once you're on your own, there are sources out there but your bike will be off the road for a bit.

Testing hasn't, in the past, seemed to so useful (unless totally knackered).  The best diagnosis I read on here was the fact one was full of water when opened up.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline motorhead13

• Bike: 2006 CBF1000
« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2020, 10:51:17 AM »
What is required for setting up a replacement?
Its not a case of finding either a used or new one and fitting it in the same postion as the old one then?
Also is it likely that it can be sorted by a garage or a new one set up by them?
When I fitted a newer engine in my 06 ZX6 I had to get the throttle adjusted electronically in some way (not balanced) which I think was something along the lines of the TPS which a garage did quite easily.

I'm going to contact the dealer and ask them to do it, my only concern would be that would they actually sort it or just do it so the FI light doesn't show and then the warranty runs out. Chance I'd have to take as otherwise its down to me to sort anyway.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
It's still in warranty take it back and let the dealer sort it out because, going by details posted in previous TP sensor threads, it can be a right pain. They can't make the PGM-FI light go out without fixing the fault. When the Ignition is turned on the PGM-FI light comes on, it then does one of two things it goes out indicating there are no current fault codes or, it flashes indicating there is a current fault code. The number and type of flashes indicate what the fault code is, as you identified earlier.

Once the dealer has fixed the fault ask them what exactly they did to fix it. You can then check for yourself that when the ignition is turned on the PGM-FI light comes on, goes off and stays off when the engine is fired up and running. This indicates the ECM has not detected any current fault codes and the status of the FI system is normal and as it should be. You could also check to make sure the dealer cleared the ECM of the stored fault code too. If they didn't bring that to the attention of the dealer by asking the question "why are there XYZ fault codes stored in the ECU memory"?

Note stored fault codes do not necessarily indicate there is a fault they just indicate there was a fault, useful for diagnosing intermittent FI system faults.
« Last Edit: 22 May, 2020, 12:56:34 PM by Art »

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2020, 12:36:45 PM »
Bugger - written reply less useful (newer post).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.