Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Start problem after quick stop.  (Read 1127 times)

Offline DrTearjerker

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000 06
  • City / Town: east flanders
Start problem after quick stop.
« on: 21 April, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
Hello,

I recently noticed my cbf1000 2005 developed a problem starting after a quick stop, filling up or few minutes going to the store.

Cold start is always without problems, when the stop is longer than say 15min there is no issue.

When i make a quick stop and start the bike, the battery seems ok, the starter rotates as usual but the engine will not turn over, only after some time it will eventually turn over.

Someone has any suggestions? I was thinking maybe sparkplugs or some petrol related problem?

Any toughts are welcome.

Greets

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Start problem after quick stop.
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
Third one this month, have a read here - Engine won't start and here - Wash & Stall

Offline DrTearjerker

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
Sorry, both have nothing to do with my problem.
Bike starts and runs good. Wont turn over after a quick (less than 15min) stop

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
When you say "the engine will not turn over" do you mean the engine does turn over but fails to start? If that is the case what you have there is a 'crank no start' issue. The troubleshooting will follow a similar process of elimination.

All 'crank no start' issues are due to either an Ignition System fault or a Fuel System fault. Spark plugs are normally a good starting point but may be not in this instance because you say "other than after a short stop the engine runs without problems", I'd rule out contaminated fuel for the same reason. So what's happening between cold start, running without problem, short stop, crank no start? The problem may be a faulty side stand switch if you rest the bike on the side stnd at these short stops. Other than that I'd have a look in the Honda workshop manual

Section 24 - TROUBLESHOOTING
Page 2 - ENGINE FAILS to START

If you haven't already downloaded the Honda workshop manual clickity click do it here

Offline DrTearjerker

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »
Yes it wont start , it will eventually. But there is a problem somewhere.

Sparkplugs was my first tought aswell. I will fit new plugs this weekend just to be sure.
Sidestand crossed my mind to but as i rarely use it (always use central stand).
Sidestand switch is ok and even when parked on the central stand i have the same problem.

Offline Stvlas

• CBF Member
  • BIFFER Lover for life 😁👍
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Trim
« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2020, 01:24:34 PM »
Hi There,
I had this very same annoying problem on my M2 CBF-F.
My suspicion was that it may be a fueling problem.
I solved it by doing the following start-up procedure after short stop:
Hold throttle in fully open position with engine cut-off in the run position, then turn ignition on.
When you hear the fuel pump finnish its cycling, then release the throttle.
Press starter & engine will hopefully start ok. M
The reason I think this worked is that the plugs were getting too much fuel when hot starting? Maybe due to a sensor fault.
This had become a habit now and have never had an issue since.
Recently went back to starting as normal and problem seems to have gone away!! Give it a go....

Offline DrTearjerker

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »
Hey Stvlas,

You could be right, the sparkplugs being wet seems plausible.
I will try your method and maybe change the sonsor if needed.

Thanks for your 2cents

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2020, 09:36:59 PM »
Looking forward to hearing if Stvlas suggestion helps you🧐🧐

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2020, 01:38:34 AM »
FI bikes can have re-start issues from enrichened fueling if bike is not warmed up enough then shut down.  Enough warmup should occur though in say 5 minutes.  ECU is fooled and can think it needs to enrichen the mixture as it would on a cold start.  If it cranks, usually wide open throttle while cranking will get it going, don't crank too long, be ready when it starts as you are wide open.  What also could possibly trigger "enrichened" is a marginal coolant temp sensor or ambient/intake air temp sensor, should be a way to test those I'd think.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2020, 06:03:14 AM »
Most PGM-FI re-start issues are due to poor battery condition, there's a point where low battery voltage starts to effect the sensor signals to such an extent the ECM shuts off fuelling and ignition. I didn't think that would be the issue here because "the battery seems fine". That said it may be worth checking the battery voltage, may be leave the side cover off and when the engine fails to start show the battery the multimeter and see what its putting out at that moment.

A Fully opened throttle will not get it going that is the flooded engine start up procedure, at fully opened throttle the ECM shuts off the fuel supply. A quarter to half throttle may help if there is intermittent firing but not enough for the engine to run without the starter motor.

diverse-leafy