Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lockdown Servicing  (Read 414 times)

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Lockdown Servicing
« on: 20 April, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
We all seem to be servicing the CBF's to pass time, what servicing have you done or are planning during Lockdown?

Just prior to Lockdown I gave the CBF a full service so there was little to do. Inspired by SteveS I have taken the swinging arm off to give it a re-paint and to inspect & re-grease the bearings. One of the shock arm needle bearings was almost dry and I'm thinking I got to re-pack it just in time, I think I got through about 150g of grease, that'll be 200g by the time the swingarm is done! First coat of paint applied, need to leave it 4 hours between light rubs and coats, aiming for three coats in all.

While i'm in painting mode I'll give the centre stand, side stand and front cowl stays a lick. After that I may bring the valve clearance inspection forward by 8,000 miles.

I'll be logging this as Coronavirus Lockdown Service, what you doing to the CBF?

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Lockdown Servicing
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:43:53 PM »
I did the spark plugs yesterday, found it very easy with the tool in the tool kit in tandem with a short extension, knuckle joint and 10mm socket. Removing the tank isnít necessary (as advised by Haynes manual,) you just need to raise tank, loosen thermostat and remove breather pipe for plug No3, and remove coil and breather pipe for No2.

Iíd be interested to know if you have to remove the exhausts to take the centre stand off? I want to spray mine but donít fancy doing the exhausts again as Iíve just sealed them and fitted new clamps  :157:
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2020, 09:15:51 PM »
I have just painted  my centre stand without taking
it off the bike.Bit of a fiddle but got it all but the mounting
points.
  Then stuck some helicopter tape on the cross brace and the parts that
had suffered the most rust

Malc

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2020, 09:58:43 PM »
Looks as if you need to take the right hand silencer off to extract the pivot shaft. I gave my centre stand one coat in situ but as above you can't get to it all. I'll be having it off for a 2nd coat when the swingarm is back on because I want to grease that pivot shaft.

There's been much ado about replacing spark plugs I found it a fairly straight forward job too, just displace everything in the way and its simple. I had to check my Haynes and yes raise the tank don't remove it. Have you downloaded the Honda workshop manual? All sections available for free download here and here
« Last Edit: 20 April, 2020, 10:11:37 PM by Art »

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:48:33 AM »
I spent this morning greasing

Lithium general purpose grease - rear brake pivot, foot peg pivots, gear change pivot.
Red rubber grease - gear change linkages
Silicone grease - Clutch push rod and seal
Chain wax - Drive chain (after a good old school brush & clean with paraffin)

The swingarm has been sun bathing for three days now, hoping it will have hardened off enough by tomorrow for a good rub down and a third and final attempt at spreading this Hammerite without brush marks. Failing that its reluctantly over to shelling out some hard earned on Simoniz satin black rattle cans.

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:27:44 PM »
If it's old Hammerite and is a job to brush it's more than likely that some of the thinner has evaporated,just add a little Hammerite thinner and should bring it back to a consistency you can easily brush

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2020, 01:33:04 PM »
Thanks for that I have been thinning it and it still don't brush well, I think its because it dries too quick and that isn't giving the paint a chance to level.

Third coat now on and it looks good from a distance sun bathing out there on the grass. Up close and personal the brush marks remain noticeable. Its looking better than it was whether its good enough remains to be seen once its dried. Half of me wants it right because it reflects my workmanship, half of me wants it not too perfect because that will highlight the imperfections you expect in a 14 year old used and abused mo'cycle.
« Last Edit: 23 April, 2020, 01:34:30 PM by Art »

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
5 thin coats is better than 2 thick coats,have you been leaving it to long between coats? Makes a big difference as does not bind to each.other if left to long. I may be teaching my grandmother to such eggs not brush quality is also a big factor, hoping it all turns out wellhttps://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.7c98c783ce4c5e4237b7d10d9913b1ec&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2f1MTLxzwvOnvmE%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=z1WkJvsM8JagbSlYTl1pAx7jnHlxeRNS1j6iM5%2fQgsw%3d

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2020, 02:26:03 PM »
Thanks again. Of the three coats the first coat was so thin it didn't cover the original paint colour. Second and third coats not so thin but thin enough to brush out without any drag against the brush. Once brushed it looks good it just isn't levelling, maybe I'm expecting too much or I'm being too critical of my own work.

Its probably good enough for what it is, if I don't like it once its back on the bike I could always cover it with a thin coat of road fling. Its less than 2 hours to get it back off and on again so if I need to I can always spray it later. Depending how it looks in the cold light of day I may even put up a photograph or two.

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
Happy days, hope it turns out as you want it