Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine wont start  (Read 759 times)

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: Engine wont start
« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2020, 05:07:01 PM »
Just in case:
if I put a little of finger pressure on my kill switch which is already in the ENGINE-RUN position, it cuts out.
I put that pressure in the RUN direction though, not in the KILL direction!
So my kill switch is not 100% fine in the RUN position.
Noticed it accidentally and problem is recurrent.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2020, 08:42:32 PM »
@J-man sounds as if the 'RUN' position contacts have relaxed or the switch  is worn, either way you should get it sorted as the next thing you know the engine will cut out and you'll have a no crank no start situation. According to Sods Law that'll be on a cold wet night when you're miles from anywhere and the wetter has just penetrated your neck line! The early warning is there...

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:26:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by J-man [+]
Just in case:
if I put a little of finger pressure on my kill switch which is already in the ENGINE-RUN position, it cuts out.
I put that pressure in the RUN direction though, not in the KILL direction!
So my kill switch is not 100% fine in the RUN position.
Noticed it accidentally and problem is recurrent.

I recall Fireblader stripped his...

http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/cbf1000electrical/handlebar_switch/hsr01.htm

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
You guys are right, it's a disaster waiting, thanks Shed for the page!!  :028: :028: :028:

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2020, 01:49:11 AM »
Sometimes you get a few tablespoons of water accumulating at the bottom of the tank (due to separation from ethanol fuel), symptoms similar to what you describe.  An ounce or two of isopropanol or Seafoam (contains naptha and isopropanol) will take care of that.. I know you drained the fuel and put fresh in, but there may have been residual water in the fuel rail, eventually will pass...... just throwing that out there for next time.
Phase separation can happen with a week or two of storage, or water can be stirred up if the tank truck just left the petrol station... just use a little Seafoam.

Offline Deak

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Merseyside
« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2020, 08:29:22 AM »
Thanks Raz
Your description I think is spot on.
To update, after I put the 1 gallon back in and the bike ran perfect I thought I would try some of the fuel I had drained out, I put back about 1.5 gallon. The bike ran for about 1 minute the started to run rough again eventually cut out. it restarted but smoke was coming from the exhaust and running really lumpy. I drained all the fuel again put in a fresh gallon, started it up, still running lumpy then after 1 minute you could hear the engine note change and then run perfect.
I think I can now say for sure it was definitely the full tank of petrol I bought from the Shell garage that caused all my problems.
I have put a complaint into Shell head office, I know they will come back and say there was no problem with there fuel and no-one else has complained, I have had a similar problem before with my car a few years back, but I am at least happy I found out why I had the problem with the bike, I feel safer now going on a ride.
Your tips for the future I will remember, thanks again.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #16 on: 22 April, 2020, 09:42:31 AM »
Interested in the Seafoam, I think the tank in my Biffer could do with a clean. There should be plenty left in the can after treating the tank and noticed the Seafoam cleans the oil in the engine, just wondering if after you’ve added it to the engine oil, would you need to do a oil change?
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #17 on: 22 April, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »
Sea Foam is a North American product, buying it here in the UK will cost you a hefty premium far more than what the product is worth. Here in the UK check out products available from Holts, Redex, STP, Wynns etc. Don't expect any of these, or Sea Foam, to be a miracle cure for failing engine parts. Don't use them on a regularly basis and don't use them without good reason. Fuel systems run on UK fuel which is >95RON and <5% ethanol are less likely to need any fuel treatments under normal operating conditions.