Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wash & Stall  (Read 691 times)

Offline Biffer-GB

• Ride Safe
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Bexhill-On-Sea
Wash & Stall
« on: 13 April, 2020, 10:23:10 AM »
Hi All,

2008 CBF1000A. 36k looked after. Daily Commuter.

Gave the bike a good clean and wash, more than normal as I was in lockdown boredom.

Rode to work 2 days later, some 35 miles, no issues. Rode into back yard of my office over a couple speed bumps, then noticed started idling oddly. I didn't overthink it and switched off. 10 hours later rode home and at every red light or stop or slow into roundabouts revs dropped and stalled!

I know where is loads on stalling but any ideas that immediately spring to mind.

Only things I've done differently
1. On last ride home before the wash, fuelled with low octane (95) stuff as that's all there was.
2. Washed like never before!
3. Hit the speed bump at work a little too fast!

Cheers,

DG
Gilmo

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Wash & Stall
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2020, 05:06:08 PM »
I'd start off looking for a loose connector - IAC valve, IDC valve, TP sensor

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2020, 07:18:32 PM »
That’s funny because connection on TPS was the first thing that came into my head when you said speed bump and stalled.

Offline Biffer-GB

• Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2020, 10:44:21 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry late reply, was tinkering with bike, then had to rush to work. So I thought the same, start with the TPS - marked the position, took it off and water literally poured out. So - wiped clean. Put the TPS in the oven in rice at 65/70 degrees for 45 mins after getting a dryer on it. The used Mrs dryer on the bike drying it out for about 30 minutes. Whilst cooking the TPS! I thought I may as well check the crank breather, that was fine and threw in a new air filter that I had kicking about.

Result: fitted back together, and started on the button first time. Took for an essential ride around the block, no stalling, misfire or anything else odd. Now safe to resume the commute!

Thanks for the input also guys.
Gilmo

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
Happy Days

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2020, 03:25:49 PM »
Interesting post Biffer. My bike has recently suffered a similar problem, cutting out at tick over without much warning, not regularly, but annoying and potentially dangerous when it does. I fitted an new battery, as after 4 years the starter was turning over lazily, and I changed the air filter. I thought I had cured it, but it came back. I will have to locate the TPS and have a look.
Thanks

Offline Biffer-GB

• Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2020, 08:07:50 PM »
I spoke too soon!

Rode 15 miles on my 30 odd to work today, stopped off to buy some bits and fuel, got another 5-10 miles down the road and started again!

Spoke to my local garage - suggested a fuel cleaner.

I was wondering if the vacuum pipe from tank could be the cause when adding fuel? And it got hot - then realise I haven't heard the fan kicking in! Next job examine the fan I guess. Is the fan fused? I wouldn't imagine it is?
Gilmo

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2020, 02:38:12 AM »
The fan is fused, it has its very own 20A fuse shared only by the clock, so if the clock is working the fan fuse will be OK. I don't see a connection between the fan not working and the engine cutting out but if the fan is not working then things to check are the fuse, motor, connections, relay, wiring, ECT sensor and ECM. It can be an absolute nightmare.

Did you check the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve?

Intermittent idle speed, rough idling and engine stalling at low revs are the classic symptoms of an IAC valve fault, surprised your garage didn't mention that.

Any fault codes present when it cuts out? It could be an intermittent fault which means just before it cuts out the engine check light comes on, when you re-start the engine the intermittent fault has cleared so the engine check light goes out.  It might be worth checking for any stored fault codes, even with an intermittent fault the code will be stored.

Offline Biffer-GB

• Ride Safe
« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2020, 07:35:40 AM »
Thanks. I was working lates so no opportunity to check but on it this morning. Rode home last night perfectly! My thoughts re fan was that I haven't heard it cut in and wonder if was getting very hot. Hoping garage has some ideas this morning!  I'll research where the IAC valve is

Thanks pal
Gilmo

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
You can hear the IACV stepper motor whining for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned on. You wouldn't normally hear it over the fuel pump priming but if you get your right ear down next to the throttle bodies on the right hand side of the engine, switch the ignition on and you should hear the whining of the IACV stepper motor, its like a fast metallic tapping sound a little shorter in duration than the fuel pump priming.

If the IACV whines when turning the ignition on this is generally taken as a sign it is working.

Another test is when you experience the erratic, rough or unusual idling switch on the hazards, main beam and beep the horn. The idea here is to increase the electrical loading which can result in the engine cutting out if the IACV is sticky.
« Last Edit: 15 April, 2020, 10:13:37 AM by Art »