Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake Lines  (Read 894 times)

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Brake Lines
« on: 12 April, 2020, 08:39:16 AM »
Ok, need some help with brake lines. Iíve done a search on the forum and read the Honda owners manual and Haynes and canít find the answer.

My Bifferís approaching 50k miles and Iím unsure if the brake lines will need replacing? Does anyone know how long they last?

Also a bit unsure about which components I would need to buy for ABS model.

Parts 2 and 6 look like the front brake lines but part 3 has got me wondering if this will need replacing too, it looks like the bit that connects to the ABS module?

Parts 2 and 6 OEM cost £162.96 and £115.15 respectively, and thatís not including banjo bolts and washers. Found a Hel full kit (waiting for email if this is front and rear) for £223.99, with a choice of colour for the hoses, and waiting to see if the kit includes part no 3 in the diagram above.

Any advice on if they need replacing or recommend a alternative brake line kit would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Brake Lines
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
The fact you need to ask suggests you should leave well alone, no offence but brakes are critical. If you can't see any cracks, leaks or damage I'd be inclined to leave the decision to the experts who check the brake lines once a year on the MOT.

That said my brake lines are 14 years old and remain very serviceable.

Parts 2, 3 & 6 are the front brake and master cylinder flexible hoses. There are also three more flexible hoses for the rear brake and master cylinder, parts 1, 2 & 7 below.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »
 and a whole load of plumbing (parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7) to and from the ABS modulator.

Offline KiwiBob

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2020, 09:49:31 AM »
Hi Crispy, in my experience brake lines generally last the lifetime of the bike. Unless yours  have been damaged in a fall or some other way I wouldnít be spending your hard earned on something that isnít broke.
Bob

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »
Thanks chaps, it doesnít look like a straightforward swap of the brake line with all them square metal things inbetween the lines. OEM for a complete replacement would cost a small fortune.

Iíve changed brake lines on my Suzuki and it was easy, ABS would need to be done by a pro, I suspect.

Thatís one job crossed of the list and money saved. Just wanted to check.

Cheers  :031:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2020, 11:31:00 PM »
I'd look very carefully at all the flexible lines and their unions.
If they appear aged (small cracking) or especially corroded at the ends look to replace. Check them under pressure too (apply as much lever force as you can) for any signs of bulging, not forgetting C-ABS works a little at the front (own flexible line) from the rear too.
Unlike (older) cars the metal lines ought to outlast the bike easily (but worth looking over).
Unless you have excessive lever travel I suspect you'll give them a clean bill of health.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2020, 07:49:51 AM »
Cheers jm2, Iíll give the lines a good inspection then go from there. Just got the email back from Hel and they say Iíll get 7 brake lines in a choice of colour for £223.99. Looking at the diagrams that should cover front and back including the elusive part No3. The lines are looking a bit shabby, the braided Hel ones will improve braking performance and the look of the bike; carbon coated to go with the rest of the bike.

:062:

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
And don't forget to change the brake fluid too.  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
The 7th might be for the clutch, don't forget the clutch
« Last Edit: 13 April, 2020, 05:15:35 PM by Art »

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2020, 06:10:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
The 7th might be for the clutch, don't forget the clutch

Indeed, if not then thereíd be one side new and the other old connected to the reservoirs, assuming the kit goes all the way to the reservoirs? Hel sell just the lower brake lines as well. From memory the clutch line is in good condition as itís fairly well shielded from the elements. Already had the push rod cylinder off to check and clean the front sprocket, will need a new oil seal around the push rod.