Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stator gasket  (Read 560 times)

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Stator gasket
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2020, 11:02:32 AM »
I'd rule out the battery first then test the stator, regulator/rectifier and their wiring and connections.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »
I only do 4,000 miles a year and it has never let me down... if a new battery and new stator give me the full confidence to ride down to Spain after this COVid19 is over I'll be happy.  To wing-it hoping the stator doesn't fail me, I would feel vulnerable ..

I'll do the stator and see  how it goes - if the battery is shot thats another £40 .. obtaining a battery in the middle of somewhere that no one speaks English is difficult to get, a stator for a 2008 CBF1000 near impossible 
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:57:48 PM »
Fair enough. For the time it'll take and while you've got the left rear cowl off I'd still carry out before and after testing of the charging system for that extra peace of mind. I'd also note the numbers as a starting point for future reference.

If I was a gambling man I'd wager Spain will be a busy destination after all this Coronavirus has blown over.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #13 on: 06 April, 2020, 03:55:25 AM »
I would strongly suggest a load test of the battery, verify it is good.  Anywhere that sells batteries should be able to do this for you for little/no cost if you don't have a load tester handy.
To test the charging voltage, simply connect a voltmeter to the positive and negative of the battery and start the bike.  Full charging voltage occurs at 5000 rpm, but you should note it is very good at 2500 as well... you should be seeing ~14V practically speaking, peak is ~15 but the regulator will usually restrict it to 14.5.  If the charging voltage is good, but the battery won't charge, then it points to the battery.  I don't know how old your battery is but usual service life is around 5 years give or take.  A good charging voltage would indicate the stator is likely OK.
It's easy to test the stator....
The standard stator test is to disconnect the connector with the three yellow wires coming from the stator.  Test resistance of each wire to the others, all combinations, and the resistance should be 0.1-1.0 ohms per the manual, meaning each of the three segments of the stator are equal.  As long as you're in reasonable range, should be good.  Depends somewhat on the quality of your meter, so if you get readings of 1.1, don't despair... are they all more or less the same.
As a further test, connect the negative of your meter to a known good ground, and check each of the three wires for any continuity to ground.  Should be none.  If there is a short to ground in any of the three segments, then stator should be replaced.
The manual says use sealant, which is almost always RTV gasket maker.  Put it on thin to minimize squeeze-out, particularly on the inside of the engine, but this rarely breaks off, it is silicone.  Any squeeze-out on the exterior you can wipe away right after assembly with isopropanol on a cloth, or after 24 hours physically, a stiff toothbrush and a scraper... or if matching the engine case, just leave it.
About the stator connection to the regulator, sometimes all that needs is a little refresh, which unplugging and re-plugging will help immensely, or use some contact cleaner and blow dry before reconnecting.
« Last Edit: 06 April, 2020, 03:56:30 AM by raYzerman »

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »
Thanks for the useful info  :020:... the bike has cost me nothing but tyres and oil from 9,000 to 21,000 miles    £150.00 for a stator and battery for another 8,000 miles of worry free riding when all this is over is simply wonderful

Superb bike ... my Bandit 1200 also did 50,000 and only dropped a valve at 46,000 miles and an exhaust collector box at 25,000
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

diverse-leafy