Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stator gasket  (Read 553 times)

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Stator gasket
« on: 02 April, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
I'm struggling to find a stator gasket for an 08 .. tried wemoto and googling but I refuse to buy a full set at a silly price  ..I may resort to using an amount of gasket sealant if I cannot find a single gasket to buy

Obviously many places are closed so I'm looking at places still posting out if anyone knows anywhere 
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2020, 11:31:49 AM by ivor hugh jarse »
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Re: Stator gasket
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2020, 12:34:46 PM »
Hi.
There is no gasket required for the CBF1000. You are correct in using a gasket sealant. Have a look at the workshop manual available somewhere on this site. I used one from Halfords about 3 years ago. Had no problems with it. I believe Honda recommend their own at Honda prices of course.
Pete

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »
Hi ALL .The one I've seen on ebay is "Three Bond 1207B Liquid Gasket ,Black"  at  £13-57 and comes with lots of positive reviews.Ed.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
As above, there is no gasket for the stator cover and if you'd splashed your hard earned on a full gasket kit you'd still be without one for the stator cover.

I used Abro RTV high temperature (343°C) silicone sealant because that is what I had on the garage shelf at the time but any of the Abro RTV gasket products would do for the stator. Note Abro's regular RTV resists temperatures to 260°C, the high temperature RTV resists temperatures to 343°C. The only downside is no matter how careful you apply it it leaves a line, I used what I had which was red, if I had to buy it in I'd go with the grey to match the aluminium engine casings or if you have a black engine they do black too. Less than £7.00 delivered to your door off eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=abro+rtv+silicone+sealant&_sacat=0

Another product similar to Abro, pretty sure they come from the same source, is Pro Seal RTV silicone sealant.

I've also used Loctite SI 5980 on car sumps, its very good when it comes to oil resistance but very messy too which is why I'd only use it in out of the way places like car sumps.

« Last Edit: 02 April, 2020, 01:49:46 PM by Art »

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »
Thankyou i bought the one in the link .... I'll wait until it arrives before opening it up due to removing the lower fairings and being forgetful how they go back if I leave things a few days
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
Why are you opening up the stator cover?

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:35:28 PM »
Bugger! Wish I had asked that question. :125: Ed.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:50:59 PM »
I just presumed that the engine cover comes off to fit the new stator like all other bikes - if theres a different way to get the old one out and new one in please tell  :020: i don't have a manual but generally get by...... the fact someone put it together so I should be able to take it apart and put it back together again
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2020, 09:55:17 PM by ivor hugh jarse »

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »
Are you claiming full 'membership' ?   (Has it def. gone?)

(See sig below)
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2020, 09:57:55 PM by jm2 »
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2020, 10:18:45 PM »
i presume but I may be fitting it as a precaution - not bothered either way at 21,000 .. the bike lives on a Optimate and it has on occasions when Im out struggled to start and couple of weeks ago it refused  while out and I bump started it rode 25 miles home and when switched off it wouldn't start again .... i have expected it over the years so it wasn't a surprise

diverse-leafy