Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Paint codes ??  (Read 537 times)

Offline Poobear4

• Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Hastings
Paint codes ??
« on: 01 April, 2020, 06:04:58 PM »
Hi all. Can anyone help me find out the  correct silver on my 2008 cbf1000. It's the black model with the silver frame/engine.
I know where the code for the black is but dont know which silver the frame or engine is. Any help would be great TIA

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Paint codes ??
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:48:31 PM »
Is there any codes on the sticker under the seat?

Quasar Silver Metallic, code is  NH-A48M  & there is also Matt Ray Silver, code NH437M

RS Paints says frame & wheels is Matt Ray Silver.

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php#makeid=64&modelid=1783&prodyear=2008

Any good?
« Last Edit: 01 April, 2020, 10:03:41 PM by Shed »

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:54:33 AM »
Hey Shed, theirs not much about bikes you don’t know, is their 😂😂

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:15:51 PM »
 :mfrlol:

I've been tinkering & spannering for many years but every day is a school day, and the likes of this forum is an absolute gold mine of information supplied by a myriad of extremely well informed, very experienced, helpful good souls.

Regardless of anyone's experience and/or ability, that knowledge and help is there for all, and it's entirely free.  :031:
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2020, 08:20:35 PM by Shed »

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:43:39 PM »
I was going to say it comes of all the time he's spent in that shed

Offline Poobear4

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
Thanks Shed.
Looked under the seat before but it just give me the code for the black. Might just bite the bullet and buy both of the silvers and see what's what.
On a separate topic though, I was giving my bike a thorough clean today. Took the back wheel off, brake calipers and front sprocket cover to clean all the old grease out. Scrubbed the chain and put it all together but when I oiled the chain i noticed while I was turning the wheel by hand the chain tightened up and went slack with each rotation. I made sure the wheel was straight .
Hope I explained that ok.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:09:52 PM »
If the only code shown is for black, then I'd suspect your silver colour is going to be the Matt Ray frame & wheels one. But if you want both silvers, go for it, you can always become another Banksy with your spare can.

Regarding the chain, assuming you put it all back together and straightened wheel/adjusted chain/and adjusters, was all this ok before you took it apart & cleaned it all up? Or perhaps, you just haven't noticed til you cleaned?

What condition are the sprockets & sprocket teeth in? How old is the chain? How many miles on chain/sprockets?

Chains can often have/develop tight spots, or indeed a series of stiff links. You can easy check this by turning the chain and using your fingers to wiggle the links up & down to see if the links move freely/or don't.

My first thought here is the chain wear is now more evident since you've cleaned it and have been up close inspecting it. I'm suspecting since you have cleaned all the crud off the chain & sprockets, the wear in the chain is now more apparent, thus now demonstrating the worn/damaged links/o rings in the chain. If this is the case, you'll need a new chain at least, possibly the sprockets too.

Check this vid...

Offline Poobear4

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »
I suspect I hadn't noticed it till I gave it a thorough cleaning. All the links are in good order though. The chain is probably got about 14 to 15 000 miles on it over the last 5 years. I think I'll just get a new chain and sprocket set. Thanks again.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
As above your chain is perfectly normal, all chains have a tight spot which can be as much as 20 mm difference between the tightest and slackest points, this variance will increase with chain wear. There are many ways to check for chain wear my preferred methods are

When lubricating check by hand and eye for play between the chain and sprocket, sideways chain movement and chain slack. Adjust or measure the chain as necessary.

When adjusting, having adjusted the drive chain and set the slack at the tightest point to 25 mm check the slack at the slackest point, if its greater than 50mm the chain is due to be replaced.

Measure the chain for stretch across the link pins. I replace my CBF chain and sprockets at 1.5% to 2% chain stretch measured across 13 link pin centres which is near enough 194 mm for a 530 chain. Measuring can be tricky and to make life easier I use a home made measuring stick made from a piece of timber 9" x 3/4" x 1/4" with two 40 mm panel pins through it, the panel pins are spaced at 195 mm and can be tapped in or out to vary the measurement as required.

« Last Edit: 03 April, 2020, 10:33:06 AM by Art »

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Poobear4 [+]
I suspect I hadn't noticed it till I gave it a thorough cleaning. All the links are in good order though. The chain is probably got about 14 to 15 000 miles on it over the last 5 years. I think I'll just get a new chain and sprocket set. Thanks again.

Recommended local shop (well, to me anyway!) for chain& sprockets...

https://www.huntersmotorcycles.co.uk/part/1568/d-i-d-gold-x-ring-chain-jt-sprockets-kit